Share This Page:

Better General

General information on Military History.
Kampilan

Better General

Post by Kampilan »

Who was the better general, William Slim or Bernard Montgomery?
Tab

Post by Tab »

I would put my money on Slim he did a great deal with far less. Montgomery was a self publicist who played it up to the Camera's, he always made sure he had more than his fair share of troops, armour, planes and guns before he made a move.
Andy O'Pray

Post by Andy O'Pray »

I would agree with Tab and give the title to Bill Slim. He commanded the forgotten army, so named, as the main concentration was the war in Europe, in both men and equipment. Meanwhile Slim had to do with what he had and still kept the Japanese busy.

Aye - Andy.
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

Both men had 'Charisma' and led two very different campaigns. Montgomery quickly learned to use the press, he knew how to invoke loyalty by being visible to both politicians and his men. Slim was simply a great leader, he didn't have or need the publicity machine that dominated Montys life, but he enthused his men.
I once hitched a lift with a Chindit, and he was still in awe of what Slim achieved.
So, different strokes for different folks, and differing circumstances, I'd go for a draw. (fence sitter)
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
Pasha

Post by Pasha »

Undoubtedly Slim, for all the reasons posted by Tab. Besides, he was late 6th Gurkha Rifles and I'm biased that way!
Regards!

Pasha
Kampilan

Post by Kampilan »

I'm for Slim myself, the ultimate soldier's general. I wonder what could have happened if it was Slim instead of Percival who handled the defense of Malaya and Singapore.
dootybooty

Post by dootybooty »

Slim,Monty relied so much on Enigma that he cannot be accussed of much original thought. The only time he came up with an original idea it was a total cock up. IE Market Garden.
Keep the faith.