Share This Page:

A little help....

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
Purcy

A little help....

Post by Purcy »

Hi,
I have just joined the site as I am wanting a little help please. For the last year I have been thinking about joining the army and it's only now I have started to do something about it, I want to join to be a mechanic but I have a few questions...
What's the training like?
Do you train the same as if you were signing up for the front line or is it different?
What about medicals. I wear glasses. Would this affect joining?
When in training how much time do you get to go home/time off?
How long does training last?

I am going to go and see the local career team when am off work see if they can help too but in the mean time any help you could give would be good.

Cheers.
mike.dt

Re: A little help....

Post by mike.dt »

Hi Purcy, I was a Vehicle Mechanic in the REME before I was medically discharged. Here are a few answers to you questions:

1) The basic training course that you will do (Phase 1) is the same across the board in the army... i.e everyone does it from chefs or drivers to infantry soldiers and paras. There are differences in levels of fitness required at selection, but the only real difference comes in your trade training (Phase 2) this is where you will be trained specifically for your job role after you've completed 14 weeks Phase 1.

2) The first medical will come in the form of a tick box list completed by your GP and sent to ADSC. If that comes back all clear then you will be invited to selection (as per passing all other tests in AFCO). At selection you will undergo another medical exam conducted by a military doctor. Wearing glasses is not a bar to service, but the medical staff will need a copy of your prescription to confirm that it's not too severe. Find out more here http://www.army.mod.uk/join/20157.aspx

3) In your basic training you will get 1 day when your family can come and visit you after week 4. After week 7 you will be allowed to go home for a 'long weekend'. When you get back to camp after your long weekend, you will not be allowed time off of camp until week 11/12 (depending on the behaviour of your platoon) you will be allowed off camp on weekends to go where you like locally. In your phase 2 training you will be allowed almost every weekend off aside from the occasional guard duty or exercise. Beware: this is only my knowledge from when I did phase 1 and 2 in 2008/9.

4) Phase 1 lasts 14 weeks (3 and a half months), Phase 2 can last 12-18 months depending on how many recruits are passing through SEME (10bn REME) at the time and your performance on the course. Don't expect loads of action, firing ranges and exercises. I regret to say that I almost forgot NSP's during phase 2 at SEME. It's basically college.

Hope this helps.
Warfare Not Welfare
(Body Armour not Benefits)