Share This Page:

life in the corps

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
its like that

life in the corps

Post by its like that »

ive heard that some people have said that when you join the corps, you basically dont have a life ? i cant understand it :S

can someone in the corps at the moment tell me what life is acctually like when you are in ?, do you have time to go home with your family and start a relationship or what ever ? i know it depends on what you specilize in and what your job is but....

ive always wanted to be a rm but certain things are putting me off, and this is one of them

cheers in advance
timex

Re: life in the corps

Post by timex »

Who are some people?

The Corps is and always has been very busy, however the mates you make and the places you go can be tremendous. I left 6yrs ago after 30yrs and would happily do it all again. The mates I made then I still keep in touch with and some from training!

As to how much home time you get? All depends on what you do and where you work, its not generally a 9-5 job and you will spend a fair bit of time away but thats life in the Military.

You don't sound too certain of joining the RM so perhaps another visit to the AFCO may be in order?
its like that

Post by its like that »

ive read it in a few places

and yeah thats my worry about how much time you spend away, because im 16 and i was thinking would i be missing out alot from my younger years ?, but yet again i will be gaining alot of experience from being in the corps. :S

and yes i will be visiting the afco soon hopefully
timex

Post by timex »

I was 16 when I joined along with about 60 others, we lost 10-15 in training and had a few join us along the way (recovering from injuries). Drafted for 2 yrs to Malta and 41 Cdo, then bounced around the Corps for a while.

You'll do something similar if you pass training, which will be the hardest thing you've ever done but you're trained well.

What you do after that depends on your career choices or what the Corps needs at the time, Drivers, Clerks, Chefs, Heavy Weapons or boots on the ground in a Commando unit.

Home time will usually be Xmas leave, Easter, Summer and pre/post deployment leave. Depending on where you are will depend on wether you can get back for long week-ends. To be fair once you get settled into your Unit you'll find that week-ends tend to be fairly hectic anyway!!
ofens

Post by ofens »

You could say the same about any lifestyle really, and the context is important.
Sounds like this has come from people dripping, and as likely as not the same people have the next day turned up for work with a big smile on their face.
Everyone I've ever met has hated their job at some point, and whinged about it to some greater or lesser degree, including me. It's just life.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating after all, and it's down to teh individual to get what they can from their situation and give what they can to their team.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
its like that

Post by its like that »

can complain about that reply haha, totally true my friend cheers for your reply.