Share This Page:

Weight Loss and Running

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
SBDG

Weight Loss and Running

Post by SBDG »

Listen up chaps I'm in need of some advice...

I'm currently in preperation training for my PRMC and I'm working hard on my running as well as working hard at dropping some unwanted weight.

I'm very strict on my eating and creating a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. I'm eating healthily and the weight is coming off, but I'm concerned that perhaps my running is being hindered by the reduced 'fuel' I'm consuming. But my other thought is that by not carrying the extra weight my running will become easier eventually.

Should I keep aiming to drop weight on reduced calories or fuel up and train harder??
ofens

Re: Weight Loss and Running

Post by ofens »

You've got it right in that to lose weight it's a simple case of eat less than you burn.
But as you perhaps now see, if that deficit is too big it impacts on your training ability, and ultimately your health.

I've found the best way to lose weight (as well as improve running! :D ) is hard interval work, this can be any good CV not just running. 2 birds with one stone :wink:
Others find the "long slower fat burning jogs / bike rides" works for them.

Diet is equally important - don't just eat less, learn to recognise foods that provide energy and nutrition but less fat.
Processed foods and ready meals tend to claim they're low in fat but often have stealth fats that fall outside the category of those that need to be named on the label! So avoid.

Don't try to shed too much weight too soon. 8)
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
SBDG

Re: Weight Loss and Running

Post by SBDG »

Absolutley... I only eat fresh unprocessed food anyway, i'm a firm believer in eating well. I've just had too many years behind a desk, so the PRMC training is a bit of a shock to the system and a wake up call as to how far I've yet to go.

I've given myself a 14-16 week schedule (end of sept) to get into decent shape.
It's great to have a forum such as this to read posts from similar people in similar situations.

Training hard to race easy!