Share This Page:

American Revolution

General information on Military History.
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

The only other time was when the USMC raided southern England (I forget the date, probably 1820 or something) they were nearly all killed or captured but many were (I think) repatriated.
Sounds more like world war 2.
"This far and no further" - Britain, World War 1 & 2
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

The USMC raided England?
Let them call me a rebel and I welcome it, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of demons were I to make a whore of my soul. (Thomas Paine)
Sticky Blue

Post by Sticky Blue »

Aldo... are you sure? I'd love to know where you got this from.
Whitey, I was privelaged to attend the ceremony at 8th & I barracks. The announcer made a point of welcoming the Royal Marines sat in the audience to witness the evening's ceremony. He asked us to leave the Whitehouse in the condition we found it as the last time we 'visited' we burnt it down.
The display was fantastic and made the Queen's Colour Squadron look... well, they put them to shame. The bugle band was brilliant as I love the 'American style Drum Corps' music. The President's Own were beyond fantastic! Very good musicians but they can't march in straight lines like we do :wink:
Drums beating, colours flying and bayonets fixed...
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

Yeah every Military in the world laughs at our march, it is more of a walk.
Our Marine Silent Drill Team is good. Our band is good too. That is one reason I came to your board, in the Marines they told us about the special brotherhood between us(RM and USMC). The RM's spared the USMC Barracks, we base our uniforms(Well I was a Corpsman) after the RM's and in WW2 your Commando 3 I think it was was sent to train our Marine Raiders to fight in the Pacific. My unit was an old Raider Unit, they don't officially call them Raiders anymore, but our museum at the regiment showed RM's training our guys in clandestine raids and hand to hand combat.

When I was on other forums like mil.com I got banned by some ex-Army SF guy because I envoked my 1st ammendment right, the Marines on that forum either weren't marines, or were the ones the Corps didn't miss after they left. Yeah so I came here and wow, Marines, the jargon is somewat different, but largly the same kind of people. I wish ya'll wouldn't have burned the White House, when you did that we lost alot of historical documents. Sorry for the invasion if it happened, but you know the deal it's like sports teams, nothing personal, just playing the game.
Let them call me a rebel and I welcome it, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of demons were I to make a whore of my soul. (Thomas Paine)
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Sticky Blue wrote:Aldo... are you sure? I'd love to know where you got this from.
Sorry sticks, silly attempt at a joke. According to my grandad it was alot like an invasion. :D Apparently he piloted one of the landing craft and was given one of there combat knifes as a gift.

Whitey, is it the Marine Silent Drill Team that do the thing where they chuck the rifles around in the air and all that (I'm sure you can give a better discription than that) What is there official name? and are the rifles original weight?
voodoo sprout

Post by voodoo sprout »

Aldo, I think that's the USMC honor guard, could be wrong though.
Fluffy bunnies - Grrrrr!
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

Whitey,

Back in August you queried a 'version' of the history that is normally taught in schools.

In 1983 I met, for the first time in my life, a true communist. He was Polish. A member of the Polish High commission in Kenya and he worked in the Polish embassy in Peking. The reason I met him was his daughter married an English guy and lived next door to us. (OK, she was HOT?!)

This guy changed my life. Not by letting me feel the huge welts on his back from the beatings he took in the Labour Camps from the Germans [we had a dobermann - he managed to stroke her despite being savaged by them in the camp ??????? :( . ]

So the question to all the cognoscenti out there is:

Why did the Poles feel so absolutely betrayed by the allies (USA/UK/RUSSIA/FRANCE) at the end of WWII?

And, no, I'm not trying to be a smartass. I'm interested to know how much we (you) know about what the 'reality' was compared to what we were/are taught in school.
Sticky Blue

Post by Sticky Blue »

The United States Marine Corps Silent Drill Platoon, a 24-man rifle platoon, performs a unique precision drill exhibition. This highly disciplined platoon exemplifies professionalism associated with the United States Marine Corps.

The Silent Drill Platoon first performed in 1948 and received such an overwhelming response that it soon became part of the routine parades at Marine Barracks, Washington, D.C.
The Marines execute a series of calculated drill movements and precise handling of their hand-polished 10 and one-half pound M-1 Garand rifles with fixed bayonets. The routine concludes with a unique rifle inspection involving elaborate rifle spins and tosses.

These Marines are individually selected from the Schools of Infantry located in Camp Pendleton, Calif., and Camp Lejeune, N.C., from interviews conducted by barracks personnel. Once selected, Marines are
assigned to Marine Barracks, Washington, D.C., to serve a two-year ceremonial tour. Beyond their ceremonial duties, the Marines collaterally train in the field as infantrymen. Throughout the year, these Marines hone their infantry skills at the Marine Corps Combat Development Command, Quantico, Va., and other bases.

Experienced members of the Silent Drill Platoon have the opportunity to audition to become rifle inspectors. They must go through inspection tryouts graded by rifle inspectors of the previous year. Only two Marines become rifle inspectors.

Once the year's Silent Drill Platoon members are selected, they begin their training at Marine Barracks, Washington, D. C., and continue to train at Marine Corps Air Station Yuma, Ariz. They continually work on perfecting their routine year-round.

Throughout the year, they perform at Marine Barracks, Washington D.C., and at numerous events across the United States and abroad.
Drums beating, colours flying and bayonets fixed...
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Sisyphus.
One reason the Poles felt betrayed was that the three Western Allies allowed the Soviet Union to over run the country.
I'm going to research this further so don't quote me,but it is rumoured that some Free Polish Jews were sent back to Poland by the US/UK to almost certain death in Soviet concentration camps.
It's a little advertised fact that Stalin murdered more Jews than Hitler.
Hope that helps Bud.
Wholley.
:o
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

Sisyphus,
In school we only get a paragraph on the Berlin Airlift, Poland was slightly mentioned as being Annexed, but the US stayed out of it I think because they said we'd have had to went across Soviet occupied Germany. We got stuck trying to fix Asia and Europe and then Cuba in our hemisphere distracted us. As for the Poles, that is too bad, but I'm one of the few Americans who will admit we can destroy the world, but saving it isn't as easy.

Silent drill Team and yes I think the rifles are regulation.
I never liked that kind of stuff though, so I didn't pay attention to it. I liked being grungy, blowing stuff apart, drinking and lying about how many women I'd hooked up with on liberty.
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Silent drill Team and yes I think the rifles are regulation.
Yep that'll be them then. I saw them at this years military tatoo, thought they were exellent. Though as far as bands go the best I saw (didn't see the RM band by the way) the swiss drummers were brilliant and they got the crowd going which is pretty rare for a military band in my experience.
I'm interested to know how much we (you) know about what the 'reality' was compared to what we were/are taught in school.
Most of my (worthwhile) education comes from my mates who were thankfully pretty smart, we used to swap what we'd learned elsewhere in lessons. My teachers knew only what was in the text books, in the entire school we only had one history teacher that really knew what he was talking about. I once asked a teacher about ancient egypt and she actually quoted a line out of the mummy as her answer :o
Tab

Post by Tab »

My interest in this came from a very old woman who kept an eye on us during the war [WW2] . She was in her late 90's but bright and sharp, and she would tell us tales of those battles which her Great Grandfather had told her when she was a little girl. The Great Grandfather had fought in the battles during the American war of Independence. I must say with great sorry we only halved listened to them as we were more interested in the aerial combat going on over head at that time.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Spitz.
You mention the role of the Frontier Rifleman as being overblown.
Well I tend to disagree.They were excellent shots(they had to be).
Bayonets were nearly never used and mostly discarded as useless.
The Brown Bess was a terribly inaccurate weapon,69cal.slow to load.
It was known as the pumpkin slinger.
The lighter,shorter 50 or 58cal Kentucky rifles were deadly in the hands of
what really were hunters.
Sorry I'm late with this post but Iv'e been having a little problem with my
puter of late.
Don't want to talk about it right now.Still in denial.
Ask Sticks."Orrible,It was just Orrible"
Wholley.
:o
mattt_h

Post by mattt_h »

ive been told at TA and previously ACF that it was the 20th of foot (then east devonshire regt) now Lancashire fus burnt down the whitehouse and had some fun at a local nunery not that im doubting anyone here but is there any actual proof either way or that both units did the deed?
Because i am
Tazzers

Post by Tazzers »

I don't know if this will help I haven't looked at it properly:

http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:War_of_1812

Or this:

http://www.multied.com/1812/
Swift and bold.