Share This Page:

Thinking of joining

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
jdb7906

Thinking of joining

Post by jdb7906 »

I have just turned 30, am totally out of shape, but am thinking of joining the marines – I was in the South African Air force for 2 years when I was 18, and am missing the life style – and have some questions, hoping for some decent answers:

I a planning on taking a year to get fit, starting off with BMF and then following training guidelines and building up from there. If all goes to plan with training, when should I start the application process?

Do they actually have blokes in my age bracket apply, or will I stand out like a sore thumb?

Most importantly I am gay, now I am fully aware of the official “no discrimination” policy etc. but am looking for real life advice. I am in no way feminine and unless I told you there would be no suspicion. It is however not something I a willing to hide either. What is the general perception, will I be accepted as part of the team, or will there always be some caution / suspicion / resentment?

Cheers
waynepe

Post by waynepe »

First off 32 is the standard limit and higher for certain jobs, most people join in their early 20's however the life experience has been said to be beneficial.

Secondly start your application as soon as you can, if its anything like the army the sooner the better as the time frame will be a while.

For training guidelines this site has a fair few lying around, and also a few links to great sites for training. BMF is good as well if your motivation isn't there at the start.

Yes you will probably get some ribbing for being gay. Everyone gets ribbed for something so it may as well be something your open and honest about yourself. If as you say your not overly "feminine" or overly "camp" then I dont see how anyone can have an aversion to you just for the way you are. Those that would be averse are highly likely to be found out during the selection process and would probably not be allowed to join under the discrimination acts.
application form : done
BARB test : passed 82
Medical : Broke my wrist so 12 months wait before reapply.
bored_stupid

Post by bored_stupid »

I think if you're already over 30, totally out of shape and probably have been for a number of years(?) then the Marines is going to be too much for you.

The selection process usually takes upto 6 months and can be even longer until you actually start training with the number of recruits at such high levels.

Taking this all into account you're going to be right on the upper age limits and just as injuries etc.. take longer to heal the older you get the same also applies to fitness. If you'd kept a high level of fitness all your life things may be different but I think you'd be incredibly lucky to manage to go from being unfit to getting through CTCRM and doing your 4 years in a Commando.

I'm not saying this to put you down, but I think you do need a bit of a reality check. Why not try out for something a little less demanding physically but will still give you the camaraderie of being a soldier like the Engineers, Artillery etc... you could then try to join one of their units attached to 3 Commando Brigade if you still wanted to get a Green Beret.

I know it's not the same, but you've more chance of it happening than getting into the Marines.

Good luck with whatever you decide though.