Share This Page:

Para Fitness

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
EagleEyes

Para Fitness

Post by EagleEyes »

Hi guys, Had my Pre-Selection type thing yesterday and I shocked myself and did better than I had expected, guess all that training paying off.

Before I was thinking about going to the Mercian regiment but a few people there said I should think about Paras so my question is how fit do I really need to be? I got the following scores yesterday:

Run time - 1.5 miles - 9.13
Sit-ups - 64
Pull ups - 16
Jerry can carry - Passed with no problems

I'm going to up my training even more now, But do you guys think the paras would be too much for me? Or do you think it's in my grasp?

Thanks all...
partymarty1987

Post by partymarty1987 »

Havent got a chance mate, need to be running it in 5.50.

lol done better then me and i still passed selection mate. Go for it.
EagleEyes

Post by EagleEyes »

Haha. Congrats on gettin through though mate, I'll give it ago I reckon, I always wanted to join but never quite sure just how fit you'd need to be with out killing your self through basic training.

How many press ups should I be aiming at doing in 2 mins?
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

Have a look at this mate, it's from a PTI in PARA Coy:

http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/ ... hp?t=38180

You should go for it mate, your scores are good eough, so crack on! 8)
partymarty1987

Post by partymarty1987 »

Its not how many you do in 2 minutes mate, its just best effort. I managed 7 lol i hadnt really been precticing them even though i have a pull up bar. I was more worried with my running, i had been running it in 9.10 but got 9.26 at selection. You should defo go for it mate 100%
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

I take it that you got '7 Pull-Up's' not press Up's partymarty1987? :-?
partymarty1987

Post by partymarty1987 »

Yeah lol 7 pull ups. I would be in real trouble if i could only manage 7 press ups and starting depot soonish
EagleEyes

Post by EagleEyes »

I'm fairly happy with my 1.5mile run time so I'm now going to start running 5+ miles with weight in a Bergen, how much weight do you think i should start with?
Last thing I want to do is give me self shin splints!
You think 10-15 KG sounds about right?
insushin

Post by insushin »

I've read a few times its not advised to run with weight as you could injure yourself, rather go for long walks with weight. You need to know how much weight and how to safely pack it for a run, so maybe stay away from it unless you get professional advice.

Well done on your run time though its very good :)
_Mark_

Post by _Mark_ »

EagleEyes wrote:I'm fairly happy with my 1.5mile run time so I'm now going to start running 5+ miles with weight in a Bergen, how much weight do you think i should start with?
Last thing I want to do is give me self shin splints!
You think 10-15 KG sounds about right?
10kg is enough if you havent run with weight before.
Things like this can help http://www.sportsupermarket.com/view/re ... -P6784.htm
You dont look a complete knob running around with a bergen, but the price can be a bit steep.
You dont get the feel of running with something on your back but it's so much simpler to just grab it an get out.
EagleEyes

Post by EagleEyes »

_Mark_ wrote: 10kg is enough if you havent run with weight before.
Things like this can help http://www.sportsupermarket.com/view/re ... -P6784.htm
You dont look a complete knob running around with a bergen, but the price can be a bit steep.
You dont get the feel of running with something on your back but it's so much simpler to just grab it an get out.
I've already got a bergen like so It's not like the moneys an issue. I've got some small 2 kg plates so i reckon ill put 4-5 of them in rather than a 10kg plate as I could see that causing me some problems when running.

I'm gonna go running round the woods near by, Forget running round the streets with a huge bergen on, I'd look like a right twat!

Nice one for the advice guys, If anyone else has nething to add please feel free to do so..
EagleEyes

Post by EagleEyes »

Also guys, Im only 17, I've heard the average age for paras is 22 you think going in a 17 would be a problem????
ruhey

Post by ruhey »

hello everyone is there any one out ther that cud giv me sum fitness tips as i am just waiting to go for a medical but havent got a date yet i am doing 5 miles 2 or 3 times a wk and go boxing 3 times a wk my concern is that im 24 and was just wondering is that quite old to be joining paras?
RamboRob

Post by RamboRob »

ruhey wrote:hello everyone is there any one out ther that cud giv me sum fitness tips as i am just waiting to go for a medical but havent got a date yet i am doing 5 miles 2 or 3 times a wk and go boxing 3 times a wk my concern is that im 24 and was just wondering is that quite old to be joining paras?
Hiya pal im 24 and re-joining, apparently there is lots of recruits our age and a lot even older even 30s is common most are in the mid 20s anyway.

It good joining at our age because we should be able to cope with the bull shit better than the teens.

Good Luck