Share This Page:

running in training

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
jarhead

running in training

Post by jarhead »

Just a quick sort of question, what sort of runs do you do during training exactly?

I know you have 3 milers ect and also have 4 mile runs in kit like baptist run, but what is the useally type of running you do and also how many times a week do you tend to run.

Also be good to know what a average day consists of PT wise.

any information on this be great.
Polynikes

Post by Polynikes »

Varies mate...

Camp circuits are 800m ish and they're sprints... you'll become well acquainted with them. 4 - 5 mile runs with a few sprints thrown in the mix... when you're in the field your training team could lash you up with something cheeky.

And there's always 'corrective physical training' which covers all sorts.

PT's progressive so an average day is a hard question to answer.

You'll start off in the gym, then after week 9 you're on bottom field, and after week 22 (I think) it's test run throughs.

An average day before week 10 would be... Gym in the morning (camp circuits as a warm up) and either a run or a swim or no phys in the afternoon. In the gym you'll be doing sprints, pressups, rope climbs, IMFC (you'll see when you get there, coz i cant really explain it) ab work, pull ups etc etc You'll also get the odd strength session.

You'll see what bottom fields all about on PRMC... except you'll be doing it with weight when you get to RT... And the test run throughs are just orgasmic, honest, you'll love them.

Happy ? :wink:
Roll off...?
Dave_1987

Post by Dave_1987 »

Have a look on prmc.co.uk, theres lots of info like that and theres a few lads going through training that post on there as well
RM Recruit Training 2nd March 09
Illustrious

Post by Illustrious »

IMFC... you'll love it. Involves Sprints, double mark in time (jogging on the spot, knees to waist heigh, elbows locked into the body horizontal from the ground) pressups, situps, rope climbs, & mini circuits which will involve squats, dips, pullups, pressups.

In reference to the Camp Circuit, you'll probably start on the P circuit which is 0.46 miles and eventually progress upto the full camp circuit which is 0.55 miles so nothing majorly different other than there isnt the decline on the return of the full circuit.

Also, you'll have Swedish PT which may seem like a dross exercise but it will still make you break a sweat.

That'll cover you until upto week 9 when you have your gym passout.
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

cheers for information,

during your runs do the PTs time it all or can you wear a watch ?

just wondering sinse some times you run better when you time each section of a run.

Also are the runs mostly carried out on the PRMC route, or do they like to throw in some hills for good messure?:)
Hands on

Post by Hands on »

Don't know whether It's the same as the army but you are not aloud to wear you watch, as the pace of the run will be ether marked out by the PTI or a best effort as In you go balls out until you throw up and hope you come In before the allocated time.
Illustrious

Post by Illustrious »

A watch?! aha, our troop captain had to hang by his toes over the regain tank for wearing his watch during some phys. It took all of about 3 seconds for him to fall in. Watches are never worn during phys, most likely because it could get caught.
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

i have been doing some 5 mile runs and though course hilly, with a fat hill at start and at end i been getting 40 mins, though i trying to get to 35mins.

wondering what the sort of running you do at start of training distance wise and what sort of times they expect, 3 miler in 21 mins?