Share This Page:

Eyesight in Simple Terms

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Mike90

Eyesight in Simple Terms

Post by Mike90 »

I know that eyesight has been done to death on here but I have read through every thread I could find and still can't find an answer I understand. :o
I have found all this info regarding 6/60, -1.75 and all that but I don't have a clue what it means so could anybody who has passed the eye test tell me simply:
- Which line you could read up to.
- Which VA grade you got.
- Also if you have problems in general seeing without specs/contacts.
I am absolutely shitting it about the eye exam as it has always been my biggest worry about passing my medical. I am aware that I won't know until I actually have my medical but as that is a while off I just want a general idea as I FANCY SLEEPING BEFORE THEN! :D
Cheers all, Mike.
ofens

Post by ofens »

You may get your answer by calling the careers office, they will have up to date accurate info, whereas on here we can only speculate!
Good luck mate.

ofens
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

ofens wrote:we can only speculate!
Nice one ofens,Speculate....Spectacles.......Geddit??
Oh never mind.

I'll get me coat.
Dave_1987

Post by Dave_1987 »

The chances are the AFCO will just tell you to take the test and see what happens, You do it very early on in your application so you wont have to wait long. I think its the second stage. Good luck
RM Recruit Training 2nd March 09
braywick

Post by braywick »

Mike,

I know how you feel mate since this was my biggest fear before joining, in basic terms you will probably need to be able to read at least until the 2nd line on the eye chart (From what I can remember!).

There is definitley no stigma against wearing glasses at CTC although I would advise you to wear (monthly) contacts for ease of use. Don't forget you could always get corrective surgery althought that may put your application back by 12 months.

Cheers,
Braywick
buzzbuzz

Post by buzzbuzz »

Your eyesight doesn't have to be great, my right eye's sight is pretty poor but when i had my interview my CO said my eyesight was fine. So don't worry about it too much, just see what happens on the day.
psychometric test:15/09/08 Passed
eye test:17/09/08 Passed
interview:14/10/08 Passed
medical:24/10/08 passed
ofens

Post by ofens »

Ha ha cheers Wholley 8) ... wondered how long it would take ... !
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]