Share This Page:

To All Prospective RM Officers

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
RM Recruiting Officer

To All Prospective RM Officers

Post by RM Recruiting Officer »

I am a Commissioned RM Officer (Capt) who is currently employed in the Recruiting Company based down at Lympstone. In my current job I am heavily involved with recruitment for the Royal Marines and have been referred to this site by a fellow batch mate who told me that he regularly checked it when he was expressing an interest in joining the Corps.

I am basically offering myself as a point of contact for anyone who is interested in joining the RM as an Officer. If you have any specific questions about training or being a Troop Commander I am happy to answer them, ultimately it is part of my job and I would rather you get the correct information from myself in order to help you make educated decisions about joining the Corps. It is all completely informal so don't worry about asking questions you think might be stupid. Anything that gets messaged to me will be not be passed onto anyone else.

Best of luck with your applications.
jabcrosshook

Post by jabcrosshook »

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum and say that you answering peoples questions will be highly valued and appreciated, even more so because you've gone out of your way to do this.
Cool Hand Luke

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

Again, - welcome to the forum, I'm sure your advice will be highly sought after.
- If you overtrained, it means that you didn't train hard enough to handle that level of training

- Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did
RM Recruiting Officer

Thanks fellas, I am happy to respond to both private messages as well as questions posed in the open forum. Be aware that a lot of you will have the same questions so use the forum as much as possible so I can get more information to more people.

My advice is exactly that, advice. I am not working in an Official context and entering this forum is something I have been considering for a while. Ultimately if there is more accurate information in the public domain it allows people to make more informed decisions about choosing a career with the RM.

In my current capacity I am often away travelling the country so please do not get frustrated if I am unable to check the site all the time. I will however endeavour to get internet access and reply as soon as possible.

I am working this weekend at the Southend Airshow with the Commando Display Team, if you want to speak to me in person I will make sure I am available to have a quick chat.
All the best.
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

Welcome on board :wink:

This is the sort of thing that can really help the site and draw in more young people.

John
Taxman

Post by Taxman »

Welcome aboard
Application submitted: 28-03-08
Psychometric tests: 10-04-08 (Passed)
Eyetest: 21-04-08 (Passed 6/6)
Medical: 08-05-08 (Passed)
Interview: 21-05-08 (Passed)
PJFT: 21/11/08 (Passed)
PRMC: 27/01/09 (Passed)
RT: 23/03/09
"You create the pain, YOU can make it go away"
lil_dinger_bell

Post by lil_dinger_bell »

Welcome and cheers
RT Test - May 1st - ?
Medical Examination - May 1st - ?
P.O.C - May 5th - ?
A.I.B - May 10th - ?
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Welcome, it will be great to have even more excellent advice on this forum.

My question isn't to do with life in the Royal Marines as such. I would like to know if the Commando Display Team are going to be at Biggin Hill air show and when the next Meet the Marines days around Kent are going to be.

Cheers
Mitch
Psychometric test - Passed!
Initial interview - Passed!
TBC
Tartan_Terrier

Post by Tartan_Terrier »

Hi and welcome to the forums,
Glad to have you aboard, I'm sure you'll be a major asset to the site.

Regards
T_T
RM Recruiting Officer

The Commando Display Team will not be at the Biggin Hill airshow. Meet the Marines is taking place in Kent (Bewl Water Resevoir) later this year, between September and November. Your local careers office will have details. You have to go through them to be invited as they co-ordinate the numbers and timings etc. If you are just interested in the Officer side of things, I can meet you for a chat at the event though.
Where do you live in Kent and what school did you go to, I know the area well having grown up there.
lewdog

Post by lewdog »

my question is,whats the day to day life like for an officer in unit?

thanks any help is appreciated!
"Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred"
dave55555

Post by dave55555 »

how much does a newly qualified officer get per year the website only says the wages whilst training and when you reach the rank of captain.

Are mountain leaders also snipers?
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

You asked for it RMRO,
Now you've got it. :D
At half-term too.
One has to love them,dose'nt one? 8)
RM Recruiting Officer

Thanks Wholley, getting beasted! Had 9 private messages since I last checked!
Day to Day Life for an Officer in a Unit... This is a hugely diverse question dependant upon what you do. As a Troop Commander you will be likely to be doing phys in the morning with the Troop followed by conducting or planning training programmes, preparing to go on exercise, de-servicing kit following an exercise. It's enormously diverse. You will work bloody hard whatever you do. I used to get into the Office at 0750 and not leave till 1800 some days...at least there's no commute though. The fact that no day is the same is what makes the job so good, a great deal of diversity.

Newly qualified Officer's pay. You can get that information off the website but it goes as follows.
1. You will be commissioned on Day 1 as a 2Lt on about 22k going up to 25k after about a year (I think, it has probably gone up since I was promoted). You're then on 35k as a Captain which you'll reach after 2yrs from the start of training. The money's ok but definitely not the reason you do the job. You'll get a bit more in allowances so you can get home on the weekends and some more cash when you are away training or on Operations.

Mountain Leaders and Snipers.
Mountain Leaders are not trained as snipers but require many skills which are similar. They both need a high level of physical fitness and excellent field craft. Sniping is not just about shooting. The snipers course can be conducted by Marines but only those who are Cpls can commence the ML2 course and become Mountain Leaders.

To everyone that is posting can you please make sure you check the website before asking me questions. The information is all there.

To all candidates. Many of you want to join after A-Levels which is good as it shows you are keen. Be aware that 90-95% of RM Officers have degrees and you have to be very talented to pass the AIB without one. To be an Officer, you need a very good standard of written work and the ability to counsel your Marines on their careers and personal problems. It helps to be a bit older and more mature to be able to do these thing.

Anyone who thinks that being a Royal Marines Commando is a 9-5 job needs to understand that it is not. It is a lifestyle and one you need to fully immerse yourself in. Of course, you can have a life outside the Corps but just so long as you all know you won't be home every night, even as a Trained rank. If you girlfriend doesn't understand... you need to have a think about you priorities in life.

Anyone who wants to join the Royal Marines just to impress their mates and girlfriend in bars. Don't bother writing to me.

Best of luck fellas, I'll keep posting when I can.
RM Recruiting Officer

Always keen for an opportunity to pass on some facts about paras vs Royal. I am not going to get into a slagging match as they are a very capable regiment and highly respected by many including me.
Firstly though, Red Devils, fair enough but it's a very small part of the Regiment and you shouldn't join to join them.
Secondly, Marines can apply to be in SFSG, they make up a large part of the group.
Thirdly, Since they stopped para training the Regiment, there are now more Royal Marines with their wings than paras...admittedly, some haven't jumped in a while!
...and Finally, Air Assault. Who did the last air assault in a modern war? The Royal Marines in Iraq 2003, first into combat on the Al Faw peninsular. True air ops are a part of amphibious doctrine, and that's Royal's business.

Have a look at how long the training is for both the Corps and the paras and then decide who is more capable.
Tom, Are you applying for Officer level entry?