Share This Page:

Airman to Officer

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
Jeremy

Airman to Officer

Post by Jeremy »

Hi there,

Has anyone here gone from being an airman/woman to an officer. I've been thinking about it recently. I've got a little bit of information from the training development flight on my station, but I was just wondering if anyone on here has gone through it themselves? Does being a serving airman help or hinder? How do OASC look upon it?
Biggles1211

Post by Biggles1211 »

As far as I am aware, there is no difference in the selection procedures between serving airmen and civilians. Everyone gets treated the same. Of course, as you are already serving they will expect you to have an excellent grasp of military knowledge as well as a huge raft of secondary duties and achievements in the Service.

There is nothing to stop you going down to the Norwich AFCO and booking a space on a forthcoming 'Officer Presentation'. That will answer many of your questions.
ClockWatcher

Post by ClockWatcher »

Jeremy,

Warning – LONG POST FOLLOWS

Note: some of this applies to all people going through the process.

For the most part you will be treated the same, however, there are a number of differences in the selection process. Firstly, you will have to Gen Ap through your chain of command. Next, P1 in PSF will look at your application and do a few of checks, i.e, have you been a good boy, qualifications and what did your boss say on the Gen Ap. If they are happy, then the ball starts rolling. Next stop is a basic medical at the Med Centre, just weight, eye sight hearing, weight, blood pressure etc, nothing dramatic. Once you get a tick from the Doc the process follows the same route as a civilian applicant.

You will attend the CIO, sorry, AFCO and sit through a day presentation with all other candidates for your region. Suit and tie is good, you will be mixing it with civilians from here on in. There will be Q&A sessions, briefing etc. Bare in mind this is aimed at non military, but you can pick up some very useful tops and information here so keep alert. If you are still willing to go for it you then arrange an interview with the AFCO's RAF Officer at a later date, normally in a few weeks time.

This is similar to one you will get at OASC, but only the personal information, why you want a commission and what does the RAF Do/Have/Changes imminent are covered. There will be no questions on current affairs. When I went through late last year, a new system was in place which would give an indication if you were to be forwarded to OASC. So 30 minutes after the interview you would know. You will get written feedback from the interviewing officer, take it on board. Improve the good parts, work very hard on the negative one. Remember to dress suitably for the occasion, you will be assessed on this as well!

When OASC comes up, remember a few points.

1. Don’t bullshit, be honest and sincere.
2. All stress is self imposed at OASC.
3. Get fit, then get fitter.
4. They will have your last three F6000’s.
5. They know you are serving, so the questions may be slightly different from civilian/straight from school scenarios.
6. You know the RAF, so you have one up on the civvies in terms of being in a strange place, dealing with people in uniform and knowing how to address people you meet. A lot of the civvies will look to you as a mentor/leader.
7. Treat all staff with respect, civilian staff and the SACs to the Grp Cpt. Civility and manners cost nothing and would be expected to be the highest standards of a serving airman/woman.
8. You are serving, use that to get talking to as many officers of all branches, even ones you would not consider. What we in the ranks see officers do from day to day and the types of postings they get is not the whole story. Get it from the horse's mouth. Make sure you also talk to ex-airman and direct entrant ones! All the ones I spoke to were only too willing to help and give me an hour or two of their time. Know the branch(es) you are applying for inside out. Know why you would not want to do the other branches as well.
9. Visit stations, ask to shadow officers in branches you want to apply for for a day or two.
10. Get OC TDF etc to give you dummy interview boards and do some leadership courses.
11. Listen and read widely, get lots of details on both sides of arguments, then form your own opinion.
12. Know the RAF inside out.
13. Forget that there may be civvies and military in your group for the 2nd stage of selection. Try not to treat them differently. This was the hardest part for me. I tended to treat the non-military personnel with kid gloves.
14. If your station as a commissioning club use it.

Hopefully this is of some help!
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Thanks for the replies people. Very helpful. I've starting getting some information from OC TDF, and should be going to an information day soon, so I'll see how I get on!