Share This Page:

Film leads to Army bullying probe

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
SO19

Film leads to Army bullying probe

Post by SO19 »

Taken from BBC News.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4739955.stm
The Army has begun an investigation into the training of young recruits after the BBC obtained video footage.

Amateur film by a soldier at the Army's School of Infantry in Catterick last year appears to show a soldier putting his boot on a recruit's neck.

Anti-bullying campaigner Lynn Farr said the "fine line" between discipline and abuse is "crossed over far too much".

Last month the MoD accepted there had to be a complete change of culture in the training of recruits.

It followed a House of Commons committee report which criticised the MoD for failing in its "duty of care" towards young soldiers.
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

The Army has begun an investigation into the training of young recruits after the BBC obtained video footage.

There's a fine line there I guess and in the mob its very difficult at times...

These things must come from the top like any good management or you end up with a mess like Deepcut :(
Bliartheliar

Post by Bliartheliar »

Now, wheres that asian bitch with the lesbian haricut?
SO19

Post by SO19 »

She's too busy helping the other lot.
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

She's too busy helping the other lot.
And being well paid in the process no doubt :cry: I don't know why that lot have to sitck their nose into everything zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
rockapemk1

Post by rockapemk1 »

What i can never understand is why did they video it in the first place???
Jobag

Post by Jobag »

Who saw the Para platoon doing drill at the end of the news footage? Guess whos platoon that was :D

I dont agree with one recruit being picked on repeadedly. However, in my opinion its not bulling if a recruit is treated roughly because he f'ked up on something. Surely you learn by your mistakes, and if you are punished, you will remember that punishment and what it was for and hopefully the mistake wont be made again. Its deciding how far instructors should be allowed to go before it is classed as bullying, and most civilians dont understand the army's way of doing things.
SO19

Post by SO19 »

Agreed.

I dont think the general civilian pupulation will ever perceive it in the right context.
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

Its deciding how far instructors should be allowed to go before it is classed as bullying, and most civilians dont understand the army's way of doing things.
Disagree!!! So if an instuctor picks on the same person for doing nothing is that OK??? Not in my book. I hate bullys and if I come across this at work I would always try to do something about it.

The only time I ever had a problem in the mob was some *wat of a full screw picking on me for no reason at all....

I am not saying its an easy issue to deal with but leadership must come from the top to stamp out such things.
Jobag

Post by Jobag »

mfat_man wrote:So if an instuctor picks on the same person for doing nothing is that OK?
You are right, and i dissagree with this aswell. However, the types of things the BBC were reporting about included an NCO giving a recruit a bolloking and putting his boot on the recruits neck. Now, i think this sort of thing installs a hell of alot of aggression into people, because you see your instructors behaving in a really aggressive manner, and you naturally copy your teachers. This is what i found at my time at ITC anyway. To the casual observer though, it is very brutal and could be seen as bullying.
Peds

Post by Peds »

Reading through the Grauniad article on it (http://www.guardian.co.uk/military/stor ... 76,00.html), a lot of it sounds like simple measures to instill discipline and encourage people not to be wimps.
Better to toughen people up at home so they can withstand hardship when deployed overseas, instead of cracking under any kind of pressure, I would have thought. Who needs a jellyfish around when under fire?

A saying my dad is quite fond of - "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the I'M A SCAMMER SPAMMER!!!."
Jobag

Post by Jobag »

Peds wrote:"If you can't stand the heat, get out of the I'M A SCAMMER SPAMMER!!!."
I totally agree with you. There are plenty of people to go and talk to in ITC if a recruit is having difficulties handling army life, and if the army isnt right for them they have plenty of options open to them, including a transfer or DAOR. But it really annoys me when the media try to potrait army discipline as being over the top and just a form of bullying.
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

Who needs a jellyfish around when under fire?
Peds... yes I agree with you on that.

What I don't like and we've all seen it is picking on people for the way they look, their accent, uncalled for violence.

If you *uck up on your rifle drills, marching, or kit inspection then expect a good beasting!!!.. such is life :evil: :lol:
dalo

Post by dalo »

Yeh ive heard alot about in the army training young scottish and english recruits get along, but the scottish having problems with themselves ie young lads from Glasgow and Aberdeen just not able to get along with each other. Fair enough obviously a bit of stick goes with the job ie sheepshager or weegie but its sad when its being said in a bullying kind of way like four recruits cornering someone.
915 trp every womans pet, every mans regret.