Share This Page:

Saluting and army etiquette

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
Rich_2k3

Saluting and army etiquette

Post by Rich_2k3 »

As a soldier is it expected to salute your CO's when they enter the room, walk past etc. Also is army etiquette always applied or is it quite casual (I'm hoping its always upheld).
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

you salute any comissioned officer or warrant officer actually, not just your CO or OC.
SP

The line between BS and PC is thin and blurry
markthestab

Post by markthestab »

ive never saluted a warrent officer, dont know if its just my unit but we only salute commisioned officers, i was told to only salute commisioned officers so i do, was told that your actually saluting the queens commision and not the person :-?

to answer you initial question, if your alone and you see an officer and your wearing your beret you come to attention and salute, if your not wearing your beret you brace up

if your in the company of an NCO, they will salute for you, you only salute when told by the NCO(for example if your having a lesson or on parade, whoever is in charge of the lesson or parade will salute the oriface), if your in a room having a lesson or lecture and your sat down, when the officer approaches you will be told to brace up in your chairs

its not slack, well it shouldnt be anyway
GARRYOWEN

Post by GARRYOWEN »

You dont salute Warrent Officers- Dont salute me, I work for a living-.
Only commissioned Officers.
FAR AWAY SO CLOSE!
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

mmm...

ok then what about the ssm/csm or rsm types?

ive seen them saluted many a time - but never been in the positon of having to do so myself (always been a senior present).
SP

markthestab

Post by markthestab »

never seen anyone salute a warrant officer mate

Rich_2k3 their are other ways to salute orifaces as well which get a little annoying, when your on basic you have to march everywhere like you have a big sign on your head saying "crow" and if you see an officer you will have to either salute on the march or tilt your head in their direction depending or not if wearing beret again

its well difficult to do when carrying a shopping bag full of stuff from the spar shop :lol:

i could never remember the timing, think its "salute-miss-up-2-3-4-5-down-swing"
Rich_2k3

Post by Rich_2k3 »

So are u expected to be wearing your beret at all times on duty (unless ur wearing combat helmet). Also if your wearing your combat helmet do you have to salute. I remember hearing that if your in a combat area your shouldn't salute because it marks officers as targets.
markthestab

Post by markthestab »

you wear your beret at all times during basic training unless your in the bar or on excersise

if its your own time and your walking about with kit on and no beret you will get bollocked, and if you dont have your beret on and you encounter an officer you will still be required to pay compliments by bracing up and saying "sir"

however things are more relaxed once youve past basic
Doc

Post by Doc »

I salute my helmet every morning, not always in uniform.

and if what you say about not saluting officers in a combat helmet is true, if you ever got a commission Im sure for you they would make an exception.

you really are a ......

GARRYOWEN

Post by GARRYOWEN »

Spooky wrote:mmm...

ive seen them saluted many a time - but never been in the positon of having to do so myself (always been a senior present).
SSM/CSM and RSM`s are all Warrent Officers.
FAR AWAY SO CLOSE!
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

GARRYOWEN wrote:
Spooky wrote:mmm...

SSM/CSM and RSM`s are all Warrent Officers.
yeah i know that, and i also know i have seen them saluted and was wondering if they were saluted on account of their position. clutching at straws i know, but ive seen 'em saluted!
SP

Hantslad

Post by Hantslad »

I always remember my dad used to love visiting Army camps. He was a WO1 in the Navy. If he was wearing his cap, the squaddies used to confuse him with officers and salute him, if he was in Combat 95 they used to do lots of bracing up (which doesn't happen in the navy) Dad used to thank them and then laugh his head off
Doc

Post by Doc »

The custom of saluting commissioned officers relates wholly to the commission given by Her Majesty the Queen to that officer, not the person. Therefore, when a subordinate serviceman salutes an officer, he is indirectly acknowledging Her Majesty as Head of State. A salute returned by the officer is on behalf of the Queen.

As with many things in military history, the origin of the custom of saluting is a little obscure. In a book called 'Military Customs', Major TJ Edwards suggests that 'saluting and the paying of compliments may be said to proceed from the exercise of good manners'. Indeed, if you take the word saluting literally, it is merely the offering of a salutation or greeting, which in the military must be reciprocated.

A more romantic theory dates from medieval times which suggests that victors at the many tournaments of the day shielded their eyes with their hands when receiving their prize from the Queen, rather than be dazzled by her beauty. This is very unlikely, but far more chivalrous. A far more plausible tale relates that the military salute is merely a form of offering an open hand as a token of respect and friendship in much the same way as a handshake does. Knights in the Middle Ages greeted each other by raising the visor of their armour, an action not unlike a military salute.

During the 17th Century, military records detail that the 'formal act of saluting was to be by removal of headdress' For some time after, hat raising became an accepted form of the military salute, but in the 18th Century the Coldstream Guards amended this procedure. They were instructed to 'clap their hands to their hats and bow as they pass by'. This was quickly adopted by other Regiments as wear and tear on the hats by constant removal and replacing was a matter of great concern. By the early 19th Century, the salute had evolved further with the open hand, palm to the front, and this has remained the case since then.

The RAF salute is essentially the same as that of the Army. When RAF personnel hand salute they display an open hand, positioned such that the finger tips almost, but not quite, touch the hat band. The Naval salute differs in that the palm of the hand faces down towards the shoulder. This dates back to the days of sailing ships, when tar and pitch were used to seal the timber from seawater. To protect their hands, officer wore white gloves and it was considered most undignified to present a dirty palm in the salute so the hand was turned through 90 degrees.

You salute officers and Royalty only. Warrant officers do not hold a queens commission therefore you do not salute them. If you saw WO's being saluted then it was either in training (how to salute) or the bloke saluting was farking up.

ENDEX!
jockladfaejockland

Post by jockladfaejockland »

tell you what mate I have been in two years now and I was walking up to me work the other day, sun was low couldn't see fark all in front of me when all of a sudden a shiny feret badge and what looked like one gold stripe came walking passed so I braced upish (was hangin out me arse) and chopped one off only to find the guy chortling his farking arsehole off cos i'd just saluted a WO2 :oops: dirty barstewards! :x
Nobbys the name Minehunting the game.

I'll get me coat...