Share This Page:

World War One and mutiny...

General information on Military History.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Got 1, Well mate it sounds like you are talking about our friend Nobby
got1

Post by got1 »

Hi Tab,
Not Nobby, but somebody very similar, Pete Kelly. I can't quite remember but i think he was originally 2 Para before he was RSM.
ps Nobby would have probably have said "come on my boy eat your dinner". Another great character. :D
Redhand

Post by Redhand »

Well i can tell ya this...

In WWI front line Canadian troops who didn't approve of chickenshit officers would just run by their foxhole and toss in a nade.

This was usually done by the natives as they seemed to excel at these sort of tactics. If i remember right, they were the ones who started doing it, and it caught on.
dootybooty

Post by dootybooty »

Foxholes? B@@%%$cks. Natives? Nade? Suggest you check your facts. What proportion of the CEF was "native"? This is juvenile garbage.
Keep the faith.
Redhand

Post by Redhand »

No that reply is juvenile garbage. Most of the info i will ever put down is either from a book i read or from me pa who has a PH.D in military history.

My Great Grandfather told my Pa this one, he earned the Military cross in WWI for Canada. We have the recommendation sheets here with us.

Your English, stick to your own history.

If you want to slag me, take it to the general forums. Otherwise, please don't talk to me like im a damn idiot.
dootybooty

Post by dootybooty »

Sorry to offend you. However, please edify an ignorant Brit who has spent the last twenty years guiding parties around First World War Battlefields.
What proportion of the CEF was made up of "natives" and what tribes did they come from.
What documented sources are there for officers being murdered. It strikes me that the term "foxhole" is wrong. This appeletion was not in regular use untill the second world war. The term "shell scrape" was used.
For your information a shell scrape is different from a foxhole. Furthermore an officer was seldom alone in the First world War in the line an officer would share a dugout with others, so the opportunity for killing one rarely presented itself.
I ask out of acedemic interest as the incidence in the British and Empire forces of officers being murdered is negligable. Both my grandparents served were wounded and decorated in the Great War, both on the Western Front.
By the way I have even shown Canadians around Regina Trench and I just love your national memorial at Vimy Ridge, I have been on digs in the tunnels and have a great admiration for the CEF. There have been enough myths propogated about the First World War, I have a genuine desire to find out how many "natives" served in the CEF because so far I have discovered no mention of them, or do you mean the Metis?
Keep the faith.
Redhand

Post by Redhand »

Well i guess ill look over the books we've got on Canada in WWI here in the family library, theres lots of em, so ill take a gander. Hopefully i can find out some percentages that your requesting, or perhaps you will have some sources of your own you can look to.

Anyway, the way it was told to me in no way implicated it was a common thing. I know for a fact that there was Natives in the Canadian Army, especially out of some of the prarie regiments where native populations are abundant (relatively speaking).

Also, the way it was told suggested it was a 'slight of hand' thing. ie. Someone would run by and subtely 'drop' the grenade in wherever the officer was...scrape, trench, etc.

It was suggested it was done because the officer was not moving with his men...or something to that effect, some form of cowardice. If you want...i could clarify everything here, but thats only if your interested.
Frank S.

Post by Frank S. »

This thread was started with a question about mutiny instances in the British army during WWI.
In addition this is a British website.
There are way too many British soldiers buried in my country who fought there during two world wars for me to let this comment remain unaddressed:
Redhand wrote: Your English, stick to your own history.
Redhand your apology is long overdue.
Redhand

Post by Redhand »

ahh ic...so this was the post you were referring to in general forums Frank.

Frank please read the above posts, he referred to what i said as 'juvenile garbage' on what i heard from good sources, ie. family history and some documents. I think he realized that he was offensive and thus apologised
himself. It's worked out and im awaiting his reply if he wants to talk about it further.

You seem a level headed guy Frank but you either are being melodramatic or overlysensitive or...you have it in for me.
Frank S.

Post by Frank S. »

Redhand wrote:
You seem a level headed guy Frank but you either are being melodramatic or overlysensitive or...you have it in for me.
Not so simple.
When you choose to debate something you can make sense without resorting to turns of phrase which invite a pissing contest. I happen not to agree with you most of the time, but I can appreciate debating from a different viewpoint.
In this particular case, you are discounting something which you will run into again later: there's a pecking order to life.
You are planning to join the military. Plenty of pecking order there. I am not answering for Dootybooty, it's neither my place nor is there justification for it. However when interacting with someone who's guided parties around WWI battlefields for just about as long as you have been alive, it would behoove you to take a breath and consider what they say, even if the tone offends you.
It is what it is.
Should you choose to post information to buttress your views, this would enhance the debate. And I am aware that you didn't know about his guiding tours of battlefields by the time you posted, but it's actually not relevant. When you know very little of the people you interact with, it's best to keep replies level-headed and avoid saying things like: "you're English, so stick to your history".
That remark was doubly offensive because this is a British military site, and because Dootybooty's a former Royal Marine. A little research would have shown you this, and it in fact would have been much better had you refrained from just reacting and looked it up.

So this is not a flame. But bear this in mind when you join.
:wink:
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

Hey Frank, why do them Germans like France so much anyway? I fugure Russia would have been more resource rich. :drinking:
Let them call me a rebel and I welcome it, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of demons were I to make a whore of my soul. (Thomas Paine)
Frank S.

Post by Frank S. »

No cheese to speak of... And Russian wine's dubious at best (Ithink they use tank brake fluid)...
Redhand

Post by Redhand »

Point taken Frank,

I apprecitate your sincereness, and i guess yer right, i was out of line. So i apologize to dooty booty.

Off Subject...

My dad went to texas once for a vietnam conference meeting and had a shot of PURE straight off the boat russian vodka. My dads a big guy, but he said this stuff kept him drunk for roughly 24 hours.
Frank S.

Post by Frank S. »

Cool... :wink:
Shall we start over, then?

:lol:
Redhand

Post by Redhand »

sure thing.