Share This Page:

Press-ups help needed

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
rsn1984

Press-ups help needed

Post by rsn1984 »

I'm currently training for PRMC and seem to be improving quite quickly in all areas of my training ie. running, pull-ups etc. but i seem to be having trouble improving my press-up situation. I've been traing for just over 2 months now and can still only achieve about 25 press-ups max (I could do abou 18 when I first started). Has anyone got any advice on how to improve my score. I know I'm using the correct technique as I've had people watch me when training and have read the guide for PRMC given out at the AFCO. Any help would be great, cheers.
Gazza85

Post by Gazza85 »

Practise makes perfect.

Use pyramids. 10, rest for 10, 9 rest for 9 etc.
[img]http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/5848/georgiossamaras5bk.jpg[/img]
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

I would use search matey, this isnt the first time people have asked this sort of question. You will find loads of results to help you.
luke

Post by luke »

When I first considered the military 10 or so months ago, I could do about 4 press-ups :oops:

I can do about 60 or 70 in 2 minutes now, all I did was crack out as many press-ups as I could every time I had a piss (best off just doing it at home, you'll look stupid doing it at the pub), slowly increasing my target by 5 a week.

The hardest thing I found about it was making press-ups part of my routine, I found this the most consistent way of doing press-ups regularly.
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

Luke

What other upper-body excercizes are you doing?

I mean are you using weight training to improve your muscle strenght such as shoulder presses, bicep curls flys etc. How many reps, what weight?

I can't do as many press-ups as I used to!

Cheers

MFAT man
Walker

Post by Walker »

I've never been too good at press ups but practice does make perfect. Setting out by saying im gonna do 3 sets of 20 never worked for me a PTI on one of my course gave me the best tip ever, if you're watching the TV or listening to the radio when the adverts come on drop and push them out for the duration usually 3/4 mins.

This is a great way to do lots as you're occupied by the TV and you don't keep a count of how many you simply keep going.

Best thing is this tip is universal, I've used it for sit ups, star jumps, weights etc.
flynn101

Post by flynn101 »

This is what i did and i did so much better than i was expecting on the day of selection. Whilst watching tv or something (films are a good idea) every 5 mins starting at a low number maybe 10 add 5 pushups until you get to your max number at the time. After a while your number should start to steadily rise. Mine did i went from 25 - 60.
Awalcott

Post by Awalcott »

for press ups dont think by just doing press ups or weights will improve you score. Think about it, think about all the different muscles you are using in one press up. Do exercises that concentrate on each muscle you use and do press ups, overall your muscles in your arms and shoulders will get stronger. Dont just do loads of heavy weights and loads of reps, you need muscular endurence aswell as strengh, for more endurence do alot more reps with a lighter weight, and for strengh and more power do low reps with heavy reps, makes sense, and works.

Do exercises like pull ups, wide grip aswell as close hands over army style and marine style with a over grasp grip. Dips are good as well as incline pull ups, do some weights. It isnt really all the strengh for the press ups it is the endurence that will do it for you, so work on that.

Walcott
themattmeister

Post by themattmeister »

Every other day do 150 press ups in as fewer sets as possible.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

themattmeister wrote:Every other day do 150 press ups in as fewer sets as possible.
I'd be there all day!

Zak :oops: