Share This Page:

Endurance Run

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
andy25uk

Endurance Run

Post by andy25uk »

i'm going to join the navy soon, but i read somewhere that you have to pass a 5k endurance run but im not sure if they still do this as i think i read somewhere else that it's no longer part of training, i used to be a heavy smoker and i doubt i will ever be able do a 5k run as i've been running for ages and my max is about 2 miles, so my question is, do you still have to do the 5k endurance run. thanks for any help
CrouchmasterT

Post by CrouchmasterT »

For selection you only need to do the pre joining fitness test which is 1.5 miles (2.4km) the times are on this page.

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/static/pages/5110.html

If your planing on applying then you'd better start working on your fitness, start now because they dont like it at interviews when you say your planing to start getting fit, they want to hear your already putting the effort in.
Only 3% of applicants to the Royal Marines earn the right to wear the green beret.
feederboy

Post by feederboy »

You have to do a hell of a lot of running in phase 1. No way round it mate. Stuff you have to do includes

-1.5m Royal Navy Fitness Test (you do this twice, once in week one and then again week 5. The idea is that you improve your time.)

-15 min, 30 min, and 45 min squad runs which are spread across the eight weeks, with the 45 coming in the last weeks.

- 3 mile cross country run which you do individually but your time earns points for your division in the Cock Sports competition.

-The shuttle runs in the PTB. Not hard, just hammer it to be honest.

-And finally, the endurance course. Whilst I don't know the actual distance, this takes it out of you, and then some. Basically you are timed doing the assault course as a group. Then you run to the obstacle course, drag your way through that and run all the way back to the assault course. I did not see one person who wasn't completely hanging out after that.

I can't stress enough how important it is to get to a reasonably high standard of fitness before you join. It saves a lot of pain, and a lot of remedials.

All the best.

PAC Matelot
andy25uk

Post by andy25uk »

thanks for the advice, from what you've told me i am absolutely nowhere near ready for the running. the other tests seem pretty easy, sit ups, press ups, pull ups, squat thrusts its just that i struggle running for 20 mins and i would probably have a heart attack trying to go any further, so i think i'll push it back to around may, as i wanna know i can do whats expected from me before i get there. anyways thanks again for the advice