Share This Page:

Decisions Decisions...

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.

Decisions Decisions...

Post by Guest »

Im at that stage in life where i dont know what to do with myself, and to be honest, i could do with some opinions from anybody and everybody.

I am currently undergoing the Recruitment process to get myself in the paras as a Jo (BARB test tommorrow). This is my ultimate goal. The thing is, i am also doing my last year of a-levels and my decision is whether to go for the January intake and leave school, or finish my a-levels and go for the June/July intake :-?

I am really bored with school, and i cant think about anything else but getting to depot and cracking on with training, and i cant focus on my studies. I know that a-levels are not needed for the paras as a jo, and i could get more qualifications if/when i leave the army. But im thinking i might regret not finishing the last 6 months of education, saving money and time when i finish in the army. Yet, at the moment im not bothered with my grades at the end of the year, so it might be better for me to leave school and perhaps continue education if/when i need to.

Im stuck, and i appreciate any opinions.

Cheers

James
Wings

Post by Wings »

Hi James,

I think you'd be stupid to throw your education away, I hated school, couldn't wait to get out and left when I was 16. I thought back then that you could get on in life with no decent qualifications, which you can. To a degree.
One thing that an education gives you is CHOICES. I spent most of my post school years working in bars and dead end jobs for minimum wage.
My family always said to me "if you don't do well at school you'll regret it" I used to just think they were nagging. But it's true, I'm not saying I would have turned out differently or done anything different but at least I would have had the option.
The Para's will still be there in 6 months mate. But one day you will have to leave the army and if don't have your A levels you will find it a lot harder to get a decent job. I know It sounds a long way off, but that time will come sooner than you think. It sounds like you've done most of the hard work at school, so stick at it for a few more months, it'll be worth it in the end.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

Wings
lew

Post by lew »

Wings is right, you may aswell see the last few months out, even crappy A level grades are better than GCSE's.

Good luck with them.

lew
All I want in life is a cold beer, a fast car, a big F**King gun and a hot woman to fetch the beer, and clean the car! is that really to much to ask? - Quotes by a redneck.com

recruit test 21 march - PASSED
medical 30 march - PASSED
interview 30 march - PASSED
PJFT - 11 april - PASSED 9:18
PRMC - 7th - 10th JUNE. PASSED
foundation - 29th August
Gazza85

Post by Gazza85 »

I'd stick at college, not only will you get the more qualifications but you have more time to train.
ED

Post by ED »

Do whatever your heart tells you. I packed in my A levels half way through because I couldn't stand another single fu**ing day in school. I was desperate to get to Depot.
The sensible choice is to finish your A Levels and then join up. But being the sensible choice doesn't mean it's right for you at this time in your life. Make the decision you want, stick by it and never fu**ing look back!
Good Luck,
ED. :wink:
Edwards159

Post by Edwards159 »

I would stick out the 6th months and finish off your education. You may need it later and for f*k sake its only 6 months.. Bugger all..

Im in exactly the same position except im quite enjoying 6th form.. All the 6th form party pissups..

If you get your A-levels then it has to be that your promotion prospects are much higher than with just GCSE's.

Stick at it mate!
Utrinque Paratus
Tab

Post by Tab »

James like all the rest of people that have said there bit on this subject, I will go along with what they have said "Get you education done and dusted then you have the choice of which way you want to go" The last thing you need is to join the Regiment and get offered some thing that really appeals to you only to find that you need your A levels to do it, so you either turn it down or go back to studying. So bite your lip get your head down and take your A levels, the time will soon go pass and you should then have your A Levels for the rest of your life.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the reply's, and a mix of views all of which i have taken into concideration. I think the best plan of action is to see out school until i have secured a place on an intake, then decide what to do.

Thanks again, and any more opinions will be much apreciated. :wink:

James
00jami00

Post by 00jami00 »

Last edited by 00jami00 on Tue 27 Jul, 2010 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grimey Vibes

Post by Grimey Vibes »

00jami00 wrote:I left school when i was 15, best thing i have ever done.

My sugestion: Get out of that hell hole, seriously join the paras as soon as possible, you will probally learn more in the paras than you will at school and if your planing a long time career there then you dont need the <a target="_blank" href="http://searchmiracle.com/text/search.ph ... ucation</a>, if your planing of joining for a short time (4 years) and plan to have a career after the paras then maybe you should do your exams.
There is no guarantee that he will be able to do even 2 years as he may have an accident and get a MD. So then what will he do if thats happens?? If he done his A Level he can go to Uni to get a Degree or at least get a decent job, with just GCSE's you can't even get a factory job these days. My advice is stick it out for the final 6 months, but at the end of the day its up to you mate.
Get on "PARADE"

"You drill like a bad hip-hop artist, MC Miss A Beat"

Post by Guest »

Grimey Vibes wrote:My advice is stick it out for the final 6 months
Only because i will be on the same intake as you if i leave :P

Most people dont understand what being in my school is like...nobody knows anything about the army/paras, so i cant talk to anyone about it, the only part of school i enjoy is ccf which i am starting to get p*ssed off with because i could be doing it for real in the regulars and i am wasting my time with subjects i will never use again apart from maybe English language.

Some people say that your school days are the best days of your life...i coudnt disagree more. Ok, you can get a free meal (which tastes sh*te), but you have to do essay, after essay, sit through lessons where the teacher is reading handouts to us for an hour and a half as if to say, we are not capable of reading them ourselves.

And my fellow students...i am NOTHING like anyone in my school, i have completely different interests and i act like the grey man (Grimey will know what im like) not standing out too much, but doing enough to not be noticed, and i feel im not the right person for school anymore.

(takes a deep breath, but still worrys)

I realise this decision is down to me, but thanks for the replys.

James
Tunny

Post by Tunny »

If you left school, you would find yourself sitting around in 6 months time not being in the paras. The application process takes a while, why dont you get down to the AFCO now while staying at school, get your application rolling, do the tests and all that stuff. If your lucky by the time you leave school you wont be waiting long before you start basic
10th Oct - Paras basic.

Post by Guest »

Ive got my BARB today, and i started the application process only couple of weeks ago. The Sgt said i will finish (if all goes well) in January, and i could go for an intake then, but i could delay intake if i wanted.

I think they might be more efficient than other AFCO's, maybe less busy :-?

James
Colin

Post by Colin »

James

Finish off the last 6 months. You will only regret it in the future.

It gets harder to do as you get older. I am 42 and just about to go back to Uni and I am telling you that it is F***kin hard.

Good Luck with whatever choice you make.