Share This Page:

Sir Charles O. Mather KCSJ,GC

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
dave89121

Re: Sir Charles O. Mather KCSJ,GC

Post by dave89121 »

I know Sir Charles O. Mather very well, and yes its true. I have been to his house many times over the years in Las Vegas, and have seen all the photos and the large one of him being Knighted.

Not only did he have a great Military Career, but he had a great 2nd career in the entertainment business not only booking for the Queen, but becoming a major agent in Las Vegas for over 40 years. If you should need photo's to prove all of this, just ask, yes he's real.

Dave
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

dave

It seems you don't know him as well as you think.

If Mather did hold the GC he would NEVER make the mistake of putting this after KCSJ

In any event, the fact is he doesn't hold the GC. Here is a list of all holders of the GC awarded since its inception in Sept 1940.

http://www.gc-database.co.uk/

All the George Cross holders who were alive on 1st April 2010 are listed at the bottom. Er, Charlie isn't listed!?!? :oops: :oops:

Are you going to tell him the good news or, if you feel it too embarrassing [for you, not him] pm his email address and I'll let him know?

The only legal way he can call himself Sir Charles Mather is if he changed his first name to Sir by deed poll.
Last edited by Sisyphus on Thu 11 Nov, 2010 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dave89121

Re:

Post by dave89121 »

Dolly Gray wrote:The name Charlie Mather now rings a bell - I think he was was a PTI and in the Judo world was a big oppo of Major Duffy Dowton who served in DCGRM (1973) This Mather was the manager of a singer called Lovelace Watkins back then and he certainly did not have a Sir in his title. I can remember we all thought he was all right. maybe the fact he was paying for all the wets had something to do with this. As Yorkie says we all have the Walter Mittys in our patches and like he said Joe public belives them. When working with the Marine Cadets they were a regular occurance some funny and some very dangerous and the daft thing was that when you zapped them you were the bad one.

You are correct, this Charles Mather was the manger of Lovelace Watkins, Tom Jones, and several others who made it very big in Las Vegas. He also booked entertainment for the Queen and several large events overseas. I have been to his house many times and have seen the large photo of him being knighted, I don't know how you could fake that ?

Maybe he was knighted for allt he big time entertainment work he has done with the Quees, not for anything done as a Marine ? I have also seen all the military photos of him and his unit, and I know you can't fake that either.

Dave
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

dave

People remember him as a Marine. However, it's not difficult to fake photos.

Nonetheless even if the photo is genuine, what you can't fake is adding your name to an official list of GC holders - and his name isn't on it (see the link above). :evil: