Share This Page:

joining with tattoos.

Discussions about those units who make up the Commando’s.
scottdrake94

joining with tattoos.

Post by scottdrake94 »

i recently applied to join the RM and they had to take pictures of all my tattoos and send them off, a few weeks later i got a call saying my application has been denied because of the tattoo on my finger.

I've had a few removal sessions but it aint making much of a difference and im desperate to join.

do you think if i went to a different careers office they would notice or get informed that i had this tattoo?
i applied about 8 months ago.

sorry about the essay
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

If the tattoo's on your finger then it'll be visible on parade, which is a big no no.

We were all given the official line on tattoos waiting for our aptitude test. The guy at the AFCO said that the Navy were the least fussy about them; as long as they're not disparaging or offensive, and as long as they're absolutely not visible while in uniform, then you're fine.

All the best. :)
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Fingers,or above the neck-line,abusive or otherwise are a big no-no.
I guess your sol as even laser removal is not 100%
Ruth

Post by Ruth »

Your only other alternative might be to get it cut out and skin grafted but that may not be easy to do.
Illustrious

Post by Illustrious »

Not to give any false hope or anything but one of the lads in our troop has a spider about an inch in diameter between the thumb and forefinger on each hand and he was passed through. He said it was because the RM wear gloves on Parade or some such malarky. But meh, it's probably done on a case by case basis.
s3ansk1

Post by s3ansk1 »

Your could hack your finger off, then keep it on a piece of string around your neck for when you need to dig out some bogies, or have it removed via laser!
TinCanMan

Post by TinCanMan »

Just see sense and go for para reg. we dont mind tats in fact we encourage them lol
Artist

Post by Artist »

TinCanMan wrote:Just see sense and go for para reg. we dont mind tats in fact we encourage them lol
Think you will find that the tats ban in certain areas of your body is now 100% thoughout the forces. Be you Matelot, Perce or Crabfat. PC you know?

Makes me laugh when I think of some of the blokes I knew in the Corps with tats that to put it mildy would upset a Christian Monastry let alone an Islamic village in dire need of help.

Never had one. Once when 18 years old and pissed I joined 3 oppos down Union Strasse for me blood group to be stuck on me left arm. Come my turn I sussed out that it would cost nearly £3! Said no and proceeded to get pissed, failed to trap a Gronk, and got neat shite the next morning from them all.

17 years later one of me Oppos was turned down to become an SD Officer due to his tats........Summut to think about hey? Any pillock can have a tat whacked on his body when mostly pissed. Does it make you harder and tougher? Don't think so really!

Ain't got one on me and still look like an Adonis who can pull ought when Flightys not looking! :D

Tincanman

Good Oppo of mine is Geordie, ex 1 and 2 Para, We meet up once a year come rememerbrance Sunday. He even has a tat on each lughole. Love and Hate on his knuckles.

I love him to bits in fact. A Great Guy to know but one day he confessed tha he wished he had never bothered with any tats as he had them when he was pissed.

Another point. Paras, Bootnecks......Ace at there jobs, goes without saying. My Instructor on my Senior Command Course was a C/Sgt Para. I Instructed during 1 Paras M&AWT course. Please con't start a them and us session again. OK?

Artist
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

Never had one (too tight to get one and too fearful of what scraggy scribble I might end up with.....as I would have always 'gone cheap' anyway.... )

Had a mate who got the classic 'snake wrapped round dagger' tattoo. Put me off for life! What an abortion!! :lol: Makes me larf to this day!!!! :lol: :lol:

'Maori style' tattoos are all the rage these days, with bicep wrap-arounds and solid black shapes. With a finger tattoo you may be better off speaking to an ink artist AFTER speaking to the careers bloke. Rather than drastic 'removal' and skin scrapings you may be better off with a bit of camouflage. Cover your 'HATE' tattoo with a few more ink splodges to make any offensive tats illegible...

Or for a cheaper option, stick your hand in a deep fat fryer and remove the tat forever...... Makes for a good talking point at parties.....
barrybudden

Post by barrybudden »

Like Artist says tats are a no no. There was a new regulation that came out last year, thats why they took a photo of it. It would have been reviewed by some officer. But they are a not allowed if they are above the colar or below the cuff end of story I'm afread.