Share This Page:

WSO application

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
sittingstress

Post by sittingstress »

David,

Lyneham have traditionally always been incredibly helpful to potential aircrew candidates. **Now I am well aware that they are getting rid of the "ballast" seat positions as the "K" winds down in favour of the "J"** however, the WSOs there will be able to tell you about the selection, training and career opportunities.

** If you are unsure of what this means then more research about your chosen career is needed! Have a stab at it yourself and if you really do struggle then ask but see what you can sort out on your own. :)

Might I also suggest Brize Norton as well as Waddington.

The Careers Office is ok but if you want to make sure things happen at your pace then ring the station of your choice and ask to speak to the Sqn Adjt of whichever Sqn you want to visit. Get the details of the CO and write a formal letter asking to make a visit. It can't hurt can it and it will demonstrate initiative, resilience and organisational ability!!

Regards

ss

PS If you get in you will be a stinking Guin and therefore I shall cease to recognise you as worth of speaking to :)

PPS Research THAT as well!!
Per Ardua
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

SS, does that mean you haven't been speaking to me for the last 4 years?
:o

I'm so sorry, I hadn't noticed!
:lol:
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
davidgorjup

Post by davidgorjup »

sittingstress wrote:David,

**Now I am well aware that they are getting rid of the "ballast" seat positions as the "K" winds down in favour of the "J"**

** If you are unsure of what this means then more research about your chosen career is needed! Have a stab at it yourself and if you really do struggle then ask but see what you can sort out on your own. :)
I was aware that the newer C-130's had cut down on the air crew, although im not sure they would be classed as "Ballast" :roll:
sittingstress wrote: If you get in you will be a stinking Guin and therefore I shall cease to recognise you as worth of speaking to
Are you calling me a penguin.....

Hyperlithe, what do you do in the RAF by the way?
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

I'm a WSOp(L),
Based at Waddington.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
davidgorjup

Post by davidgorjup »

Hyperlithe wrote:I'm a WSOp(L),
Based at Waddington.
Is that why you were plugging 23sqd? :lol:
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Looks like you've still got a bit of research to do there...
:o
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
davidgorjup

Post by davidgorjup »

My mistake, Read it your previous post wrong.

51sqd instead? Nimrod R1?
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

That's better!
:lol:
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
davidgorjup

Post by davidgorjup »

Do you know of any stations that operate Tornados that accommodate potential officer open days? Or am I best just ringing up the ones that I would like to visit to do with WSO and trying my luck?
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

There are two bases that operate GR4s, (Lossiemouth and Marham), and two operating F3s (Leeming and Leuchars).
I doubt any of them have specific open days for potential officers, but it never hurts to ask.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
sittingstress

Post by sittingstress »

Miss Hyperlithe I am talking to you as you have learned that sound travels to my ears only when your heels are together!

Regarding the Tornado sqn visits, apply the same method as I mentioned about multis. The fast and pointy bunch love those who display a bit of oomph.

Directional Consultants are ballast and also smell of cabbage and wee!

Regards

ss

PS I am not calling you a penguin just yet as you have a long way to go. However, standby!
Per Ardua
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

davidgorjup wrote:Do you know of any stations that operate Tornados that accommodate potential officer open days? Or am I best just ringing up the ones that I would like to visit to do with WSO and trying my luck?
marham is your best bet....my dad works for BAE at marham and hooked me up with a "work experience day" with 9 Sqn!

a great day where i spent time with pilot's, wso's, the sqinto and flight ops. attached to 9 sqn!

if you live near marham PM me cus i could possibly get you "booked on" with 9 sqn for a day?!
davidgorjup

Post by davidgorjup »

Stig;

Thanks for the offer mate, ill PM you soon, got a bit on my plate at the moment.

Sittingstress;

I'll get on the phone on Monday and get the information you suggested for arranging station visit's.
I think Im going to go for Waddington, Lyeham and Marham.
Then research as much as I can about the WSO based with helicopter sqd's (although Im not a helicopter fan, wings shouldn't be going faster that the fuselage!)
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

davidgorjup wrote:Stig;

Thanks for the offer mate, ill PM you soon, got a bit on my plate at the moment.

Sittingstress;

I'll get on the phone on Monday and get the information you suggested for arranging station visit's.
I think Im going to go for Waddington, Lyeham and Marham.
Then research as much as I can about the WSO based with helicopter sqd's (although Im not a helicopter fan, wings shouldn't be going faster that the fuselage!)
ok mate if one of the 4 sqn's is out on operations im sure one of the other 3 would be happy to "take you under their wing" for a day! lol

a bonus about going to 9 sqn is one of the WSO's wife is my CO in my AFCO in norwich lol im not saying thats the reason why i got to OASC lol...anyway he's up to date with all the latest selection process...hopefully he's still there?!
sittingstress

Post by sittingstress »

Pedant Mode selected:

No such thing as a RAF sqd. It's all in the detail david!

Pedant Mode off

Regards

ss

PS David if you need a number or an "in" into the sqns then PM me and I shall divulge a secret that will be of use.
Per Ardua