Share This Page:

Voluntary Withdrawl

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
peter1034

Voluntary Withdrawl

Post by peter1034 »

Hi

I posted here previously about going in the RAF as an MT driver. I started my basic a good few weeks ago and no longer serve as i have gave my notice with in a week of being there (In Halton)

The RAF told me I have up to 3 weeks to go back in without going through the whole recruitment process again.

I would like some advice from colleagues/corporals/sergeants/officers serving or used to serve in the RAF and why I withdrew myself.

Ok my reasons. I knew Halton was going to be hard but thats not the reason I left. Hands up - BAsic training is a 9 weeek hell and am sure prisoners or kids who use to be in Borstal had it easier. The most difficult part of it was not being able to leave. Sleeping for 3 hours a night and still being told your shit lol.

It was the commitment that struck me. 9 years. Ok i could leave after what 4 years service then I would still have to give 18 months notice. I guess before I joined the RAF I was only 70% sure I wanted to do it in the first place. Yes I like travelling/long periods of time away from home - ive worked away before. I found the lads great to get along with but i felt i lost my liberty joining up - not just because of training but because of the term of contract and the autocratic leadership style - quite rightly essential in military.

Ive also buggered things up for myself now as if I dont go back am not entitled to benefits for 6 months so am buggered if i cant find a job soon.
The reason I joined up in the first place was the role of the job - MT and the high level of fitness you can achieve. I was asked upon leaving or rather told I didnt reasearch the job properly - what information of MTD is there on the careers website? Very very little. I asked a lot and always got limited response. Fromw aht I saw onit - MT's tend to drive around on or around their bases with no longer distance work.

I guess am wondering if Ive made the right decision, or the wrong one. I loved the time with the lads but i guess the role, the commitment and the autocracy was just not for me.

I would really like to hear your points of views and please could you state your rank with your opinion.

Cheers
Tab

Post by Tab »

The first few weeks are always the worst, as you have to get used of taking orders, once you get into the rhythm of military life then it all falls into place. Still if it is not for you and you can't take orders then it is best if you leave
Stu-Fowler

Post by Stu-Fowler »

You have made the correct decision. I have'nt started any training as yet but hopefully will soon Trainee Gunner, If you were only 70% sure about joining in the first place you should'nt go back.

There is plenty of Information on the net about life in the RAF, and how hard Training is ect. Plus the AFCO is there for people to call, or go into and ask any questions. My AFCO Has been really really good at answering my question and giving me a good insight into my trade.

Good luck on whatever decision you make
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

You have to remember that basic training bears very little resemblance to life in the RAF once you have completed your trade training.
It is deliberately designed for you to prove you can operate under pressure, and looking back on it from my point of view, after the other levels of training I've gone through, it was actually pretty easy. All you have to do is exactly what you are told, no more, no less.

I don't know much personally about life as an MT driver, but if you can't get the answers you're after through your AFCO or the internet, then you can always use your initiative and phone your nearest RAF base and ask if the MT section will let you come in for a day and see what they do, chat to the other drivers etc. Sure they wouldn't mind!

(We had an MT driver to take us from Lincoln down to Newquay when we did our sea survival training in June - all he had to do was drive us down there, drive us into town one night, and drive us back up to Lincoln 3 days later. The rest of the time was his own... Would imagine there was a bit of fighting for that particular job!)
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
wannabe_rock

Post by wannabe_rock »

Listen to Hyperlithe Buddy! That is great advice!
"It is easier and more effective to destroy the enemy's aerial power by destroying his nests and eggs on the ground than to hunt his flying birds in the air." - General Giulio Douhet

Some Of The Best RAF Fighters Operate On The Ground!
davo141

Post by davo141 »

training for any service be in Navy, RM, Army or Airforce is designed, purely to get rid of people who wont benifit the service as a whole and get them up standard required to conduct opertions in adverse conditions quickly, effectivly and with minimal fuss.

If you where getting 3 hours sleep feel lucky, you could of had none at all?

A lot of people go in to it blind, i didnt really have a clue but was two laid back and worried of been a failure that i just plodding on. looking it back it was easy, we were told where to be, with what and when, life doesnt get easier does it?

It is possibly the biggest culture shock possible now-a-days, there is nothing like the military on civvy street expect cadets.

Like previously said, training for the most part bares no resemblence on life in the services in general but is tough so you know and your peers know that when the shit hits the fan that you can do your job and do it well.

Take a long look at what you want to do, maybe not an MT Driver, theres roughly 39993 careers in the royal air force (according to the advert) :drinking: maybe on suits you better than been a drives?

good luck mate, stick the first few weeks and allll falls in to place!
Forward Troop - CLRRM, Viking Operator and Maintainer. Viking Support Troop out in The Ghan.
peter1034

Post by peter1034 »

Cheers 4 the replies boys

I'm still stuck in the confusion if I've made the right decision. On one hand I was bored with my office life before joining talking about how much money I made for a company. But then on the other hand I felt pressured being tied for something for so long.

despite the short time I was there I miss the lads and the banter.

However I still feel not 100% to go back.

Thanks 4 advice
Hostage_Negotiator

Post by Hostage_Negotiator »

|Try going back to flippin burgers @ MD I'm sure you'll be a 3* McGeneral in no time... this thread is ridiculous like most of your others! I don't know why you've been humoured for this long!
You are a WASTER!
If you think todays Halton is "Hell" then you need to grow up!
"When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."
SandyTheGuvnor

Re: Voluntary Withdrawl

Post by SandyTheGuvnor »

peter1034 wrote:The reason I joined up in the first place was the role of the job - MT and the high level of fitness you can achieve.
:roll: That is the funniest thing i have heard in a while, MT and fitness is 2 words you dont usually hear in the same sentence.
Things you feel like doing after being hit in the liver :
-Vomitting
-Suffocating
-Shitting yourself
-Passing out
-Crying for your mummy
-Stop taking part in any kind of violent sport.......
Viking1

hmmmm

Post by Viking1 »

ho ho ho
Last edited by Viking1 on Sun 03 Aug, 2008 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

You only have to wear the stupid coveralls for the first few days (don't know why I dislike them so much, I love my flying suit!) and everyone on my flight thought GDT was the best bit! The memories I have of being made to run up and down the hangar in full NBC kit, including respirator... I really don't understand how anyone can leave after a week, you've missed all the good stuff!

The recruit training at Halton seems to have been made easier since most of us went through as well, you even get your boots in advance so you can break them in these days.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
peter1034

Post by peter1034 »

Hostage_Negotiator wrote:|Try going back to flippin burgers @ MD I'm sure you'll be a 3* McGeneral in no time... this thread is ridiculous like most of your others! I don't know why you've been humoured for this long!
You are a WASTER!
If you think todays Halton is "Hell" then you need to grow up!
you seem like a very angry man. I clearly have written in my previous posts that I was a civvy looking for advice to see if I would fit into military life. I thought about it, I tried it & made my mind up about it.

The reason I left was the commitment. When I think about military life I dont thin I would ever fit in honestly speaking.

One thing however though that I thought of when I was there I remember the corporal saying something to a bunch of MT's was something like we were a bunch of scum of the earth twats, the lowest of the low. Then an officer said he shoulnt put up with a bunch of thick c@#t and he went to University.

Now I went to university. So what? If I was chauffering him around on base & he called me a thick c@#t and that he went to university I think I'll probably end up pulling up and telling him to f@#k walk.

Thanks to all ur other replies lads I do appreciate ur advice.
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

Peter, I think you're better off out of it. Personally I think that anyone who has been to uni and has had several years of adult working
life is not going to benefit from joining the armed forces. And I'd suggest to such people that they seek their challenges, development and excitement elsewhere.

I though, left school at 16½, didn't have any further education options like college or uni open to me. Had to work to bring money into the family
(cue: violins ;)) Seriously!

Unemployment was very high in 1980. So on joining the RAF in 80 I loved it, it gave me the structure and challenge I needed. I'd already been a RGJ cadet and I'd worked with some strict Italians and Portuguese beforehand for a couple of years in warehouses and delis in London, so I was already very disciplined in my lifestyle and well used to the bullshit.
So for me the basic traiing at RAF Swinderby was a great laugh and generally a peace of cake. I then relished and thoroughly enjoyed the tough RAF Regiment training at RAF Catterick.
Sully

Post by Sully »

Personally I think that anyone who has been to uni and has had several years of adult working
life is not going to benefit from joining the armed forces. And I'd suggest to such people that they seek their challenges, development and excitement elsewhere.
Hey, it's a good job I didn't seek your advice many moons ago :wink:
Per Flank, Per Tank
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Same here...

Actually 2/3 of my course have degrees, and 1/3 worked on civvy street for several years before joining up (me, as it happens...) and the 2 of us with degrees are the ones who are loving it, while the one without doesn't want to be there, and the one who fulfulls both the criteria is the one getting the best results.
I don't think you can truly appreciate what military life gives you if you haven't experienced civilian life first.
You for example... You say you worked in warehouses for a couple of years before you joined, so you're hardly an advocate of your own advice, are you?

If the only people who joined the military were 16 years old and straight from school, we'd soon be in a right mess.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours