Share This Page:

Bit scared...

"The Team Works" Discussions about the Royal Navy.
pondwater

Bit scared...

Post by pondwater »

Im joining soon will I have to worry about gays looking at my butt in the showers. Or do they have there own living quaters? Not that im homophobic as im sure to be called for asking the question, but I have a right not to be worried when im washing. :-?
flo

Post by flo »

What makes you think you may be 'there' type?

Honestly mate, im not sure whether to lock this thread or let the world come down on you. Only you can deal with your emotions and if you have a hang up with gays (which it sounds like you have). The yanks have got a large majority of gays amongst there forces and it works well. Just remember they are first and foremost soldiers, navy, airmen. The rest is just part of a package.

Im sure you may have faults that might bother them but i dont see them posting it on a forum.

But a warning to others - do not turn this thread into a slanging match or it will be closed down. Responsible and debatable responses only.
Friendship is like peeing in your pants,
everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth!!
Hands on

Post by Hands on »

I speak only for myself here, I have never met I openly gay male in the army, or met any one who has, but that's not to say there aren't any. I have met openly gay women though. I guess what I am trying to say is, if you don't know they are gay how are they going to bother you.
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

Chances are if you've ever showered in public before, at the pool, football, at school etc... you've probably already showered infront of gay lads.

They'd probably be more intrested in getting cleaned up quickly and getting out than checking out your wee willy winkle as in basic training time is of a premium and no one has time to hang about.
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

Ahoy there!

A valid and reasonable question for a youngster considering a career in HM Forces. However it is not the sort of thing that you really need to be worried about. Some valid responses have already been made, to which I would add.

1. There are gays in HM Forces. Met a few in my time. If I named them, a lot of blokes on here and Once A Marine would know them. There are also those that are not gay as such but just enjoy a 'bit of skin' after a few beers.

2. I can't recall an incident when I was ever troubled by a gay. Although during training a fellow nod invited me to apply cream to his piles! I declined.

3. I would question Flo's statement:
The yanks have got a large majority of gays amongst there forces and it works well.
a. A large majority means well over half of US Forces are gay. Is that a fact?

b. It works well? How do you quantify if it is working well? Has a study been conducted and a report published on this issue? My humble view of the US Forces is not as generous as Flo's, there are pros and cons with the US Forces. What percentage of either is relative to the number of gays, would be very difficult to assess.

He ho, press on eh? If you drop your soap in the shower, do check out who is present before you pick it up.
flo

Post by flo »

Perhaps i should have said minority, but the fact still remains that there is a cross section of people who fall into that bracket and are judged because of their preferences and sometimes not on the skills they can provide as members of the armed forces. People are scared to be open prejudice and ignorance are two of the most prominent ills of our society today. The way gay soldiers are treated today is no exception. Many have been forced to resign due to their sexual orientation, which has little or nothing to do with their ability as soldiers. Most members of our armed forces have no experience in relating to gay people, resulting in a fear that has caused pain to many people, both homosexual and heterosexual. People should not be judged on the basis of their sexuality, an issue which has nothing to do with their ability to serve their country.

Unfortunately there will always be the arguement as to whether 'gays' should serve in the forces and it is one that i dont think will be resolved for a long time coming. But i do agree that ignorance is part of the problem and i think that comment made by Alfa says it all. Its not like they wear a badge on there forehead.

I have met 'gays' in my time in the service and only ever had one who overstepped the line. But a firm no put an end to that and all was clear for us to continue working together in a professional capacity.
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

Ahoy there!
I have met 'gays' in my time in the service and only ever had one who overstepped the line. But a firm no put an end to that and all was clear for us to continue working together in a professional capacity.
What was his name? It might have been that bloke that asked me to put cream on his piles!
flo

Post by flo »

Sad thing was R-C it was whilst i was in basic and it was the Chief Wren Reg and i was cacking myself. :o Even nievelly thought that if i didnt comply then perhaps she could fail me. But im not that way inclined so i stood my guns said NO and that was the end of it.

Funnily enough i saw her at a reunion and she had 'married' her partner who i also knew although i had no idea that she was 'gay'. So it just shows that you never know who is what.
JoJo82

Re: Bit scared...

Post by JoJo82 »

pondwater wrote:Im joining soon will I have to worry about gays looking at my butt in the showers. Or do they have there own living quaters? Not that im homophobic as im sure to be called for asking the question, but I have a right not to be worried when im washing. :-?
I'd like to ask this; are you mature enough to be serving in the senior force? This statement is not so with standing, remember back in the days of Nelson, all forces were swarmed with man on man action, however, it's just not talked about these days.

Sensible answer really;

I've served with a few gay lads, good guys, good laugh and great at their job roles on board. Only a few people knew they were gay and it was kept this way until others got to know them. When they did come out, they were respected more by our ship mates, patting on the backs, congrats, well done type of things.

Why worry if the guy in the shower next to you is eyeing you up, they'd need to be able to see through walls or wood, it's not open planned onboard. Also, it's not these guys you need to keep an eye out for, it's the mad women (joking), actually the MAA'S/buffer/CHOPS)M) you should worry about, they love to shout!

Also rem, the guy above, below you and in the bunk next to you will be 'playing' a tune or two when lights are out.............

A good lesson to learn, keep your head down and mouth zipped, no one likes a smart arse, the ones picked on by senior rates during basic and training are the loud mouths, trouble makers and smart arses. If you avoid the types I have mentioned in yourself, you will do fine. If not, good luck!!

This is not a dig or meant to be a rant, just pointing out something you may not realise until it is too late.
[img]http://www.btinternet.com/~stuart.bowell/jb.jpg[/img]
[url=http://pregnancy.baby-gaga.com/][img]http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev307bf___.png[/img][/url]
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

Ahoy there!

Rumour often abounded in the Corps and some blokes acquired reputations for being "beef". Several of whom were well known characters.
Most used to laugh about it, but I worked closely with some of the so called "beefers" and never experienced anything that would have caused me to think they were.

Some became SNCOs and their "beeferness" was sometimes attributed to them not being married and enjoying the company of the lads in their troop (a cause for concern for myself as I also fitted the profile for some years!)

These blokes served in the Corps for many years and it was rare to hear of anything that could be considered reliable proof.

A couple of them died fairly recently and received glittering tributes.

On a personal note I first realised I was gay when one night in Plymouth in the early 80s after several unsuccessful attempts to trap an essence bird she told me she was a lesbian. Being young I didn't understand, so she pointed to a luscious leggy blonde nearby and explained "Do you see her? I'd like to drip fresh honey and yogurt all over her naked body and then lick it off". "Oh my God, that's terrible!" says I. "Why?" asks the lady.
"Well I think I must be a lesbian too!"
flo

Post by flo »

:D

I dont care what they say but the old ones are still by far the best.
Noz

Post by Noz »

Sad thing was R-C it was whilst i was in basic and it was the Chief Wren Reg and i was cacking myself. Even nievelly thought that if i didnt comply then perhaps she could fail me. But im not that way inclined so i stood my guns said NO and that was the end of it.

Funnily enough i saw her at a reunion and she had 'married' her partner who i also knew although i had no idea that she was 'gay'. So it just shows that you never know who is what.
I have to admit being a little nervous when showering after my first hockey Navy cup hockey match. Still at Raleigh and wet behind the ears (no puns!). Not that they were interested in a sprog.
There are are two kinds of people:

Those who say to god, "Thy will be done", and those to whom god says, "Alright then, have it your way".

C.S. Lewis
C4

Post by C4 »

Hands on wrote:I speak only for myself here, I have never met I openly gay male in the army, or met any one who has, but that's not to say there aren't any. I have met openly gay women though. I guess what I am trying to say is, if you don't know they are gay how are they going to bother you.
I'm totally freaked out by some women in the army. Butch haircuts, square jaw, it's enough to make a man mad. Then the first decent girl comes along. :dropmouth: EVERY soldier (single or being naughty) wants some.

If only all lesbians had long hair and looked like Nell McAndrew....not short hair looking like Ellen MacArthur. :o
BigStevie

Post by BigStevie »

Some of them have short hair and look more like General MacArthur....

I can't say if i have worked with gay soldiers or not - if I did they hid it well, but to be honest I don't think it makes a lot of difference if they are your mates, when you work together and fight together, then any pre-conceptions and doubts go out the window.

Don't sweat it - it's not worth the trouble. You'll have more important things to concern you, as will the others on your recruit course, gay or not.
Breathingbrick

Post by Breathingbrick »

Im joining soon will I have to worry about gays looking at my butt in the showers. Or do they have there own living quaters? Not that im homophobic as im sure to be called for asking the question, but I have a right not to be worried when im washing
Surely as long as they dont touch ( unless asked :lol: ) it dosent matter. Its just the same as you eying up some woman when she doesnt want to be. Remember this next time your ogalling.