Share This Page:

Too old to join up a 31?????

"The Team Works" Discussions about the Royal Navy.
subzero007

Too old to join up a 31?????

Post by subzero007 »

Hi I'am 31 at present and thinking on joining up as a AET

I did the selection test 2 years ago and passed ,had a start date but had to turn it down for my own reasons

never really got the idea out of head

so would like to give it another go

just wondering what it would be like for the older recruit(is there many older recruits)

thanks lads :D
stanbax

Post by stanbax »

We had a 31 year old, who was 32 not long after we passed out. Had no problems, but just consider that the pay isn't all that great for starters...
ClarkeyMC

Post by ClarkeyMC »

The pay is pants! I wouldnt recommend jioning at 31, purely for the fact that you could end up waiting 3/4 years before seeing a killicks rate and at your age Im sure you wouldn't appreciate, nor need a spotty irk telling you what to do.

I know of people who have transferred with house/kids/wifes shopping habit to fund and have had to leav for a better wage elsewhere. Have you considered what aircraft type? front line wise, grey Lynx flights do a lot of time away at sea and the junglie lynx are spending a lot of time in Iraq and potentially Afghanistan. Junglie Sea Kings are also spending an immense amount of time in Iraq. As for Harriers I wouldn't know but atleast they don't live in fields whilst servicing aircraft!

At the end of the day, if it's something you really want to do then do it. I transferred from Weapons Engineering to be a WAAFU and havent looked back although I do regret the pay drop. If you perform well during trade training and on Killicks course then as I understand it you may be selected for fast track. If you need anymore information PM me and I'll do my best to get it to you.

Em :lol:
Last edited by ClarkeyMC on Fri 15 Sep, 2006 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

Just out of curiosity what's a Killick? I've heard it a few times when I've over heard Navy guys chatting and just wondered what they do.
chris78290

Post by chris78290 »

its the term used to describe a leading hand, similar to a corporal i guess you could say, first stage of man management on the ladder. Identifiable by the hook on the sleeve of their 4s
terryrat

Post by terryrat »

Hey Alfa a killick is like a corporal in the marines equal rank status
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

Nice one guys, thanks for clearing that up. It was just one of those thing where you hear it a few times but have no clue what it is, but now I do :D
pondwater

Post by pondwater »

Don't worry about you age. If your fit enough go for it. It's true about the money you'll have to look at your situation and if your still single it shouldn't be a problem. Just think that you'll get out of some rubbish dead end job with a future and a pension and a kick ass job.
ExRNSteve

join at 31 ??? madness

Post by ExRNSteve »

This so called career has past you by, 17 and clueless its ok for about 4 years thats it, look elsewhere mate, having done 22 years and the last 5 years have been a drag, the RN like the other forces are finished, no fun no perks... its rubbish these days.....