Share This Page:

Nautical Sayings

General information on Military History.
Mike

Nautical Sayings

Post by Mike »

Hi,
For some time I have been looking for a publication on the origins of nautical sayings and slang.
I have tried all the usual, inc Amazon, and , believe it or not, Victory itself, with no results. I know one existed in the 60/70s coz I've seen it actually on the ship
Any help would be appreciated
Aye :P
The Honourable Lord Mike of Loch Borralan
.........................Because I AM Worth IT..xxxx.......Never Mistake Motion for Action
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

Mike

There are snippets in "Jackspeak" but this may not be detailed enough for you??
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

'F**k off Jack', does that sound familiar Mike; I've heard it before but at a distance.
Just met an ex-matelot field gunner who was on the old Ark, he even brought my Guinness to the table for me, such is the esteem that Royal retains. (Typings stuffed though)
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
John_D

Jargons

Post by John_D »

Mike you could try these

AB

Able Seaman (non-commissioned rank)
ABEAM Any object outside the ship
ADM Admiral (commissioned flag rank)
ADRIFT Anything floating in a helpless condition; also, sailor's
common usage: absent or late for a muster
AHOY The seaman's hail to call attention
ALONGSIDE Against the side of the ship
ANCHOR An anchor is a hook, attached to a length of chain
called a cable, or rope by which a ship or boat can
be held temporarily to the sea bed in shallow water.
ASTERN Behind the ship
AWASH Level with the surface of the sea
AX The Quarterdeck

BAIL
To empty a vessel of water by tipping it out with a
bucket or like container instead of pumping
BAR A bank of sand formed across the a body of water
BARGE A cargo-carrying vessel, In the Navy: a boat of a
Flag Officer (Admiral)
BEAM The width of the ship
BEARING The direction of any object from the ship
BELAY To make a rope fast (secure) without knotting it
BERTH The allocated place for a ship or man;
- his cabin, bed or bunk or a ship's anchorage
BLOCK An iron or wooden shell enclosing one or more wheels
to alter the direction of a rope or to increase the
lifting or pulling power
BM Bosun's Mate
BOATSWAIN (BOSUN) - The senior sailor who has immediate
charge of all sailors in the detail of their work
BULKHEAD Any partition inside the ship
BUOY A moored object used either for marking a channel;
an obstruction to navigation; or for mooring ships
BUZZ Rumour

CAPT
Captain (commissioned rank)
CDRE Commodore (commissioned rank)
CIVIES Civilian personnel or personal civilian clothing
(TO) CLEAN To dress in the 'rig' ordered (uniform)
CMDR Commander (commissioned rank)
CO Commanding Officer
CPO Chief Petty Officer (non-commissioned rank)

DIP
To lower partially; eg. the ensign at dip
DITCH To throw overboard
(TO) DROWN To drench or immerse

EASY
Haul carefully, slowly
EBB The outgoing tide

FATHOM
6 feet (measurement)
FLEET The number of naval vessels under an overall command
FORE AND AFT RIG Slang term for the dress of CPOs and POs
FOUL ANCHOR The badge of the Royal Australian Navy
FOUNDER To sink
FURL To roll up, and stop a sail
FORE-MAST The most forward mast

GALE
Technically wind of strength between a strong breeze
and a storm, from 28 to 55 nautical miles per hour
GALLEY The ship's I'M A SCAMMER SPAMMER!!!
GANGWAY Any recognised entrance to, or passageway or
traffic route in a ship
GUNWALE The upper edge of the boat's side

HALYARD
Any rope or purpose used for hoisting or lowering
HATCH An opening in the deck to give access
HEADS The ship's latrines (toilets)
HEAVE-TO The method of stopping a ship at sea
HEEL To incline to one side under pressure of wind or waves
HELM The apparatus by which the rudder is controlled

(TO) JETTISON
To cast overboard

LIBERTY
Leave of less than 24 hours
LEE SIDE Side of the ship away from the wind
LOG BOOK The official record of events onboard
LS Leading Seaman (non-commissioned rank)
LCDR Lieutenant Commander (commissioned rank)
LEUT Lieutenant (commissioned rank)

MASTER
The Captain of a merchant vessel
MIDN Midshipman (commissioned rank)
MOORING To secure a vessel in position by means of cables, ropes

PASS THE WORD
To relay an order
PAINTER Light line by which a boat is made fast to a ship or pier
PAY OFF Slang term for placing a ship out of commission
PO Petty Officer (non-commissioned rank)

QM
The Quartermaster

RADM
Rear Admiral (commissioned flag rank)
RELIEF The man who relieves another of his watch or duty
RIGGING All the ropes used for supporting masts and the like
RENDEZVOUS Place designated for the meeting of ships

SCRAN
Food
SHIP'S COMPANY All the personnel of a warship other than her officers
SHIP-SHAPE Seaman-like appearance
SHACKLE A 'U-Shaped' piece of metal with a bolt through the
open end used to join two pieces of wire
SICK BAY Ship's hospital
SISTER SHIPS Ships built to the same design
(TO) SKULK To avoid duty
SMN Seaman (non-commissioned rank)
SPLICE To join two ropes or wires by unravelling the ends and
interweaving them together
STANDING Term donating anything fixed or permanent such as the
unit standing orders
STATION Man's place of post for a duty

WASH
The disturbance in the water made by the movement of
a vessel through it
WO Warrant Officer (non-commissioned rank)
WO-N Warrant Officer of the Navy (non-commissioned rank)
WORK UP To train the Officers and Ship's Company of a ship
to an efficient state

XO
The Executive Officer

Aye

John_D
[img]http://www.amazing-animations.com/gif/flag007.gif[/img]
JulesB

Post by JulesB »

Why? Because I can!
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

Nice one, Jules!! I'm going to enjoy looking through that one. Just been reminded what Kye was!!!! 'Scuse me while I sob :cry: :cry:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Jules.... Thanks very much, this will sure help... what I am looking for is a publication, I know it existed in the late 60's, that givse the explanations to nautical (RN) sayings, such as 'To knock the gilt off the gingerbread' and 'To freez the balls off a brass monkie'..... explanations to both I do know! :-?
Anyway to all of you Thanks and 0lease keep looking.... Yes I've tried HMS Victory, they seem to be too busy to answer my emails.........cant get the right staff these days..... Bloody Civvies! :wink:
Aye
.........................Because I AM Worth IT..xxxx.......Never Mistake Motion for Action
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Mike,
In about Jan 92, Mrs H and I spent a week just outside Perth. Good walking and great ski-ing. Glen Shee was fantastic. By way of a change we spent a day in Dundee and happened upon HMS Unicorn. She was built not long after Trafalgar and saw no action. She was at various times, a powder hulk, prison ship and training establishment. The Navy forgot about her and she wasn’t de-commissioned till after WW11. There was a carrier launched in the early part of the war with the same name and her mail went to this relic of Nelson’s era.
Unlike Victory, which is about five per cent of the original ship, Unicorn is ninety-five per cent genuine.
As we strolled past, a guide asked if we wanted a tour. Since he hadn’t spoken to a soul for weeks, I agreed. It was mid-January, after all. He was an ex-killick. And showed us the whole ship from the quarterdeck to the ballast. All the time we added to each other’s store of knowledge as to old Navy sayings that have passed into common usage. To let the cat out of the bag, not enough room to swing a cat, square meal, sing for your supper, balls off a brass monkey, show a leg. The process continues today. How many times have you heard some girl on the till at Tesco’s say “say again”?
Very interesting afternoon, and no mistake. The Unicorn is now owned by a charitable trust that want to restore her to “what she could have looked like” The first task was to get her some guns. A Scottish company, called Carron, supplied the guns to Nelson’s Navy, and are the oldest company, still owned by the same family, in the UK. They have kept every receipt for everything they ever bought or sold, more importantly they have kept the patterns for every gun they ever cast! So, the question wasn’t “how many have you got?” it was “how many d`ya want?” She now has some examples of “original” guns. Two, six, heave, refers two the numbers of a gun’s crew who were tasked with heaving the gun back to it’s firing position after it had been re-loaded.
It was common practice to build ships and lay them up, no masts were fitted. A shed roof was built over them to keep out the elements and the roof on Unicorn is reckoned to be about a hundred and fifty years older than the ship itself. The next task is to fit her out with some masts( made from aluminium) I’m certain they have a website, try searching for Unicorn and Trust.
Disagreed with the Killick as to the meaning of “Heads” I’m afraid. He was adamant it referred to the practice of shouting “Heads” prior to emptying a bucket of excreta over the side, in case anyone was looking out of a gun port. The boys who sailed these ships would not have had time to stand still, never mind look out the windows. My version is that the nets at the bow where used as straining ropes for big jobs and that the bow was called the Head of the ship. The only place where this practice continues today is on board landing craft, where a handy wave between the deck and the ramp, soon flushes away any solids. Unless you try the “bombing “display position and are perched half way up the ladder, of course. :roll:
If your ever up in those parts, it`d be interesting to see how she looks now. Victory`s guides seem to be on a price. Get `em on, get the money, get the next lot on and hurry up at the back, there.
Aye, Mr Horney-Bloke, tis damn handsome you look this evenin` and no mistake. Why, I`ve even found a Golden Rivet in my cabin, if you`d care to see it :roll:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Mike

Post by Mike »

H.... Thanks for the above info, very interesting, and I will try to find more info on her... The last floating British hulk that I know of was the Foudroyant, anchored up in Pompy harbour and was, untill the early 70s used as a Cadet outward bound ship. She had a checkered history.
she was laid down in 1816 in Bombay for the RN and was originatly named HMS Trincomalee in. Mid 1840s she was converted from a 38 gun Frigate to a 26gun Corvette. 1897 she was renamed The Foudroyant when she was decommisioned and turned into a training ship. I went on board her while serving on the Victory she had been used in WW2 as a stores ship and it appeared that the dockyard maties had all but rearanged the interior, and was nothing like she should have been.
There was of course HMS Conway laid down 1804 and lost in the menai Straits in 1953, while establishing a tow to Birkenhead for a refit the tow was lost, Conway went up on the shore, broke her back and was eventually consumed by fire.
Aye
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

The last floating British hulk that I know of was the Foudroyant, anchored up in Pompy harbour and was, untill the early 70s used as a Cadet outward bound ship. She had a checkered history.
Mike you forgot 'Anthea', wasn't she the last Plymouth based hulk, giving experience to generations of sailors and their mates! Avast behind, but no complaints Captain. :lol:
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
Rotary Booty

Post by Rotary Booty »

When I asked the C/Sgt in charge of our Sea Service Training, on HMS Dido and HMS Cleopatra, in 1956, where the term 'Heads' came from, he told us the following:

In the days of sail the Captain used a box slung over the stern of the ship. When he went to use it, the Deck Officer would shout 'Heads', and all ratings on the upper deck would face the bow. This was to prevent the Captain losing his dignity.

Anyone know any other explanation?
Mike

Post by Mike »

You'r probably right, but if i remember right it was'nt her timbers that moaned!...... :o and yes I guess that she had rather large prosterior
Anodrog

Post by Anodrog »

Robert Parry wrote:
The last floating British hulk that I know of was the Foudroyant, anchored up in Pompy harbour and was, untill the early 70s used as a Cadet outward bound ship. She had a checkered history.
Mike you forgot 'Anthea', wasn't she the last Plymouth based hulk, giving experience to generations of sailors and their mates! Avast behind, but no complaints Captain. :lol:
The oldest british ship afloat is HMS Trincomalee she has been completely restored and is now lying in the marina at Hartlepool
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Ahoy there, me hearties :wink:
Google search this morning turned up loads of historic ship sites. Try this link
http://www.frigateunicorn.org/index.htm

Informative site, with some good links.

Aye,
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
John_D

Sayings

Post by John_D »

[img]http://www.amazing-animations.com/gif/flag007.gif[/img]