Share This Page:

Battle of Jutland

General information on Military History.
BenChug

Battle of Jutland

Post by BenChug »

I have heard both alot of critisism about Admiral Sir John Jellicoe from the battle at Jutland, but at the same time alot of great things about the man.
The greatest naval battle of the First World War. Jutland had all the ingredients to be a great British naval victory, but in the event the result was much less clear-cut.

The recently appointed commander of the German High Seas Fleet, Reinhard Scheer, had returned to the policy of making sorties against the British coast, confident that his codes were secure, and thus that the main British battle fleet, at Scapa Flow in the north of Scotland could not intervene. However, the British could read German coded messages, and were aware of Scheer's plan.

At the end of May, Scheer sortied with the entire High Seas Fleet, expected that the only serious threat he would meet was Admiral Beatty's battle cruiser squadron based on the Forth. Unfortunately for his plan, the Royal Navy knew he was coming, and the Grand Fleet sailed only minutes after the High Seas Fleet.

Both fleets sailed in a similar formation, with a scouting squadron of battle cruisers sailing ahead of the main battle fleets. The battle falls into five main phases. The first came when Admiral Beatty, commanding the British battle cruisers encountered their weaker German equivalent under Admiral Hipper, (31 May) and chased them south towards the main German fleet.

The second phase saw Beatty flee north, pursued by the German Dreadnoughts. So far, both sides thought the battle was going to plan, although a design flaw led to the destruction of two British battle cruisers. Now, in the third phase the Germans got a nasty surprise. Thinking themselves involved in a chase that would end with the destruction of the British battle cruisers, they found themselves under bombardment from Jellicoe's battle fleet, which they had thought to be too far north to intervene.

The heavy British guns quickly forced Scheer to order a retreat, but then Scheer made what could have turned into a grievous error, turning back, possibly hoping to pass behind Jellicoe, and escape into the Baltic.

However, Jellicoe had slowed down, and the German fleet found themselves crossing in front of the British fleet, and in ten minutes of gunfire suffered 27 heavy hits while only inflicted two. Once again, Scheer ordered a retreat.

Finally, in the last phase of the battle, in a night of intense fighting, the retreat of the German battleships was covered by their lighter ships, while Jellicoe lost time after turning to avoid a potential torpedo attack.

The Germans lost one battle cruiser, one pre-Dreadnought, four light cruisers and five destroyers, while the British lost three battle cruisers, four armoured cruisers, and eight destroyers. However, many of the surviving German heavy ships had suffered serious damage, and one result of the battle was to increase the British dominance in heavy ships.

Jutland was the last, and largest, of the great battleship battles. Neither submarines or aircraft played any part in the battle, despite the plans of both sides. Never again did battle fleets meet again in such numbers. While the Royal Navy suffered more loses, the battle effectively ended any threat from the High Seas Fleet, which now knew it could not contest control of the North Sea with the Royal Navy.

The great fleet which Kaiser Wilhelm II had been obsessed with, and which had done so much to sour relations between Britain and Germany had proved to be a blunted weapon. Despite that, the battle disappointed in Britain, where news of a new Trafalgar had been expected, and the hard fought draw at Jutland was not appreciated until much later, while the Kaiser claimed a German victory.
http://www.firstworldwar.com/battles/jutland.htm

I personnally think that he did a good job and won the battle of Jutland, while losing more ships he stopped the German break out attempt, alot of people at the time including Churchill strongly slagged Jellicoe for not pursueing the Germans. From what I have seen on the History Channel that would have been suicide, and on a note to Churchill while he was an excellent man as PM during #2 and did a ok job in the first big one, wasn't Sir Winston directly responsible for the Galipolli Campaign?

Feed back and comments please.
If a man has nothing he is willing to die for then he isn't fit to live.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Then like now things were a muddle, although Britain had the largest number of ships they were of various ages and design and in general a hotch potch of designs. There appeared to be problems with the flash control shutters in certain British ships that allowed a flash from a shell exploding on a turret to reach the magazine, which in turn caused the ship to explode. There is also another explanation which dates back to the peace time gunnery contests when ships would get a cups for the speed that they could fire their guns and their accuracy. One of the things that had become common practise on some of these ships was to keep extra shells and cordite in the turret to speed up the reloading of the guns and it is this which exploded and caused the flash into the magazine.
As the Germans never challenged Britain again on the High Seas then it must have been a victory.

:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
Jason The Argonaut

Post by Jason The Argonaut »

Even though the Germans damaged an sunk more ships than the british, it was still a victory for the Royal Navy. The Royal Navy had command of the sea before Jutland and the still had command of the sea after the battle. Like you Ben I think the way Jellicoe was treated was unfair, and at the end of the day he was following his tactics that wrote year's before Jutland. So to chase the Germans into the mist with a barrage of torpedoes heading for him would have been well stupid, and he would have gone against his own tactics.
Last edited by Jason The Argonaut on Tue 03 Feb, 2004 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I fight for my corner and secondly I leave when the pub closes. - Winston Churchill [img]http://www.world-of-smilies.de/html/images/smilies/teufel/smilie_vampire.gif[/img]
Mr Grimsdale

Post by Mr Grimsdale »

There's a 2 hour documentary on Channel 4 this coming Saturday 07/02/04 on Jutland.
If it's anything like the previous weeks documentaries on the Miners Strike and the last Gulf War it should be a good 2 hours of TV.
Jason The Argonaut

Post by Jason The Argonaut »

Cheers for that Mr Grimsdale I'll watch out for that one.

Last sunday there was a programme called War At Sea, which talked about the RN at the Battle of Trafalgar and the Battle of Jutland. As every one knows Admiral Jellicoe was held a countable for the loss of lives and ships as should have as he was the Admiral of the grand fleet.

But the War at Sea programme showed the actions that Admiral Beatty took during the battle. He was first to engage the German fleet, Beatty ship's did not take part in target practice, they brought shells up to the guns and left lying about where they could cause major damage to the ship if the gun turret was hit. An that's exactly what happened, also his ship's had a firing range of 12 miles while the Germans only had a range of 10 miles. But surprising the Germans fired first, in the end Admiral Jellicoe saved Beatty's bacon buy arriving just in the nick of time as Beatty had stumbled into the whole German fleet.

So maybe they should have cut Admiral Jellicoe a bit of slack an Admiral Beatty should have been criticised a bit more for his actions.

31 May 1916 Beatty's Official Report on the Battle of Jutland
http://www.lib.byu.edu/~rdh/wwi/1916/jutlandb.html
I fight for my corner and secondly I leave when the pub closes. - Winston Churchill [img]http://www.world-of-smilies.de/html/images/smilies/teufel/smilie_vampire.gif[/img]