Share This Page:

Commando badge

General information on Military History.
ExCrabMate

Commando badge

Post by ExCrabMate »

I bought a couple of military badges at a car boot sale t'other day. One is a brass one which looks too big for a cap badge so might be a sleeve badge?
It has the word "Commando" in a slight arch over a downward-pointing Fairbairn-Sykes Dagger with a large S on each side of the dagger blade. Anybody know what the S S stands for, or know which unit the badge represents?
Cheers
CrabMate
Andy O'Pray

Post by Andy O'Pray »

ExCrabMate,

JR is your man.

Aye - Andy. :D
ExCrabMate

Post by ExCrabMate »

Thanks Andy; you're up late/early mate?

I'll try & post a pic later.
JR

Post by JR »

:wink: ExCrabMate,Its the Badge of No 2 Commando.SS Special Service?,But I suspect Its one that has been manufactured,But it could well be genuine,The sleeve patch was a Commando Dagger in Silver,hilt uppermost flanked by a silver letter 'S' on each side of the hilt.on a black inverted triangle.Aye JR
Who needs the World as your Oyster,When you've had the world as your cap Badge
ExCrabMate

Post by ExCrabMate »

Thanks JR , we posted simultaneously. Pic to follow later.
JR

Post by JR »

:wink: ExCrabMate,I've just checked the 'Good Book' the cap badge of No 2 Commando A dagger point-downwards with the letters SS either side of the hilt.In white metal.The officers cap badge was the same as above in silver-embroidery on black velvet.Aye JR :wink: :wink:
ExCrabMate

Post by ExCrabMate »

Hi JR,
I've taken a pic of it but I don't know a website to put it on so I can link it on here.
Another clue is that instead of a pair of pin loops on the back there is a vertical prong thing which sits behind the dagger.
Cheers
CrabMate
JR

Post by JR »

:wink: ExCrabMate,The vertical prong (slider) on the back of the badge suggests that it was for a Forage cap,maybe made up when the unit was first formed from the soldiers of various Army units.It was not unknown in the early days of the Army Commando units for commando soldiers to wear their own Regimental badges,So to install a Commando spirit one badge was devised?.hope this is of some help.Aye JR :wink:
ExCrabMate

Post by ExCrabMate »

JR,

Thanks mate, I'd seen badges with the slider before, but was not sure what it was for. Forage cap would make sense; if you put this thing on a beret, the dagger point would be too close to the left eye for comfort.

Sticks has kindly offered to host the pic which I have just sent to him so you should see it soon.

Cheers
CrabMate
Sticky Blue

Post by Sticky Blue »

Posted on behalf of ExCrabMate
Drums beating, colours flying and bayonets fixed...
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
ExCrabMate

Post by ExCrabMate »

Many thanks Sticks. Right you lot, no remarks about camera shake.
JR

Post by JR »

:wink: ExCrabMate,Yes it would appear to be a 'one off',no doubt it was struck as a model of the sort of badge required by the Unit,the 'Globe & Laurel' badge dates itself 1939/1952 as the crown is the Kings Crown as opposed to Queen Elizabeth II.Aye JR :wink: :wink:
always go commando

Post by always go commando »

th one on the left could be a 50p :lol: looks realy enough and it goes in your pocket.
the cap badge of No 2 Commando A dagger point-downwards with the letters SS either side of the hilt.
A cap badge :o its huge. well over 2 inches, as EXCRAB said " too close for comfort"
stuck in a rut, unsure about the future, unsure about the military lifestyle, for a while anyway