Share This Page:

British Khaki Drill Post WWII History

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Is anyone familiar with British army Khaki Drill uniforms of the 1960’s? The last issue version that I can find reference to is the 1950 pattern aertex bush jacket, cotton shorts and trousers with map pocket etc.
image.jpg
image.jpg (84.59 KiB) Viewed 3446 times
This outfit was definitely still being issued to troops going to Aden during the mid-1960’s. By the sixties the bush jacket was being worn tucked like a conventional shirt. However there are definitely Other Ranks wearing what appears to be a different shirt (with buttonable shirt collar) such as these soldiers of the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry in Aden circa 1965-66.

image.jpg
image.jpg (39.17 KiB) Viewed 3446 times
I know a Gurkha inspired shirt was produced in JG but I don’t know of it in KD.
Was the aertex KD bush jacket replaced by a similar KD shirt that was actually issued during the 1960’s before the end of the KD uniform?
If anyone has knowledge of this I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Tab

Re: British Khaki Drill Post WWII History

Post by Tab »

In the 1950's in the middle eat we wore jungle green trousers and a KD shirt. We also had short puttees to keep the sand out of your boots. I think with many units it was a pick and mix situation in what the MoD had a surplus off
miltarymaturin

Re: British Khaki Drill Post WWII History

Post by miltarymaturin »

wonderful photo