Share This Page:

Opinions on my medical form please

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
CaptainEVO

Opinions on my medical form please

Post by CaptainEVO »

OK, im in the application process for the Army. I want to be a gunner.

I have done the BARB test, did'nt do to brilliant but at least i got the job i wanted available to me!

Recently i have filled in my medical forms, gave them to my doctor to verify and took them back to the AFCO personally.

After doing much reading im pretty sure im going to be deffered and here are the reasons.

At the begining of 2009 i had a spontaneous pnuemothorax (collapsed lung to you and i) this is was a one off thing and the doctor told me its a common problem in tall slim built men. There has been no reoccurence of this and the report from the hospital said that i was in good health and spirits, and was sent home imediately after re inflation of the lung. It hasnt happened since, i go to the gym a lot, walk, swim etc no problems at all. So question one is, do you think im likely to be deffered becuase of this? i have no history of asthma or any other chest problems. The hospital doctor wrote this on the report to.

The second reason i think i may be deffered is i have "mild depression" on my medical report from the doc. Now i do not believe that i was actually clinically/chemically depressed, just felt low for a while. He gave me some medication (Sertraline AKA Zoloft) i had one box of them but they made me feel f@#k up, so i never took them again. Right now i feel 100% fighting fit, but the depression thing was recent, and obviously nowhere on my records will it say that i have stopped taking the meds, becuase as far as the medical records are concerned i was prescribed an anti depressant, so to them it looks like im still taking it!!!

Im serioulsy worried these two things are going to stop me, if they deffer me, do you think i have grounds for appeal???

Thanks A lot guys
Amphibian

Re: Opinions on my medical form please

Post by Amphibian »

Personally, I would discuss it with your CA if it comes up deferred but keep schtum until then. They may very well look at it and decide that you are fine to start training. I dare say one of the "senior" members of the forum will offer you some advice, so sit tight until then. Out of interest, what reg you going for? :)

Amphibian
"Chin up, crack on"
CaptainEVO

Post by CaptainEVO »

I want to be operating any of the following
Guided mutlitple launch rocket system
Rappier system
Air defence gunner (HVM)
i would also like to be a helicopter door gunner
Basically any huge gun/missile launcher etc, any big vehicles or aircraft and i will do it !! :) im just praying my medical goes through ok. If i get deffered for a few months i can handle that. But if its years, i think i may break down in tears :(
Amphibian

Post by Amphibian »

Sounds good.
Fingers crossed everything comes through fine, just try not to stress and don't lose focus on your goal.
And if it is a case of waiting a few years then so be it, if you want it you'll find something else to do in the mean time. I know lads from the RM's who have had to wait years to get in due to injuries, but they didn't lose focus and kept at it.
Be sure to keep us all updated mate ;)

Amphibian
"Chin up, crack on"
CaptainEVO

Post by CaptainEVO »

Cheers for the reassurance, hopefully someone who has had similar ailments will be along soon and give me a more accurate answer. Am i right in saying that if im deffered for the regular Army, i cant join the TA either? if it was years, then it would be good if i could join the TA in the meantime. It doesnt list collapsed lung as a permenantly disqualifying condition, which i was worried about. Wishing now that i never went to the doctor in the first place, my Mrs made me go, so il blame her :lol:

Il know if iv been deffered if i get a letter in the post, il know iv passed if i get a phone call from the recruiter. Thats what he told me.

What are you going for mate? or are you already in?
Amphibian

Post by Amphibian »

Things like this are sent to test us.
I don't know about the TA, you may be better asking on the ARSSE forums.
You may also want to ask on there, or search to see if there is anyone with similar issues.

Regards,
Amphibian
"Chin up, crack on"
CaptainEVO

Post by CaptainEVO »

You mean is God himself is testing me? well bring it on god!! :snipersmile:

Dont like the ARRSE forums, this forum is more serious, get silly comments and remarks on ARRSE in my experience!

I have searched and searched for stuff about collapsed lung, cant find anything anywhere. Havent treid searching on here though will give it a go.
Amphibian

Post by Amphibian »

There seems to be a lot of kids on the ARSSE forums, but its run by some decent blokes so if you post a question, it will eventually get a serious answer, its just a matter of waiting.

Don't get me started on religion ;)

Amphibian
"Chin up, crack on"