Share This Page:

Training with rucksack

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
daz89

Training with rucksack

Post by daz89 »

Ok lads so the knees almost back to 100%.. I’ve started training again. Cycling with hill sprints chucked in, weighted vests runs, normal runs, long runs, boxing, swimming, circuit training, the occasional gym session (primarily working my leg muscles and doing fartlek on the treadmill), and a couple games of football a week, all that with perfectly placed rest (drinking) days chucked in should get my cardio up in no time!

I recently got a new bicycle as well so I’ve ditched the car and started cycling everywhere. Obviously after injuring my knee I want to work on my leg muscles, so I thought going for a walk (yomp) every now and again with a weighted rucksack would be a great addition to the training. I don’t want it to get to repetitive!

Anyway, rucksacks.. Obviously I don’t want to spend too much money for the amount I’ll be using it. But what’s your suggestions for a good one? Also what kind of weight would be a good starting point to put in it, I done a couple month basic training in the army so I know the procedures of putting it on/off etc, so no need to worry about injuring myself there and worrying about carrying heavy loads! I’ll just be walking quickly, finding good hills and no running!

Also, what type of boots would be good to get, should I get hiking boots or a pair of army issue type? I wear boots all day at work so have pretty tough feet (hard skin!).. And is there anywhere on the internet maybe I could get cheap hiking trousers or even plain green combats?

This is just a small addition to training that I can do when having a rest week, I've learned a lot from the site so I know how important it is not to overtrain and have rest days. Its just something to spice things up and also might help prepare me for basic if I make it through the tests.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
timex

Re: Training with rucksack

Post by timex »

Any decent size daysack will do (55 litre). Just carry sensible kit, if your going hill walking then stuff like water, food, dry kit, bivvy bag etc (carry stuff you could need or use, binos,camera etc). If you just want to get used to weights (I don't think you do) then keep it to about 15-20kg.

Boots, any walking boot will do if your feet are already used to boots.

Cheap trousers, Craghoppers are good about £20.
daz89

Post by daz89 »

thanks for the reply spot on info there! I will search about on ebay, I'm willing to spend about £100-£150 on the gear maybe a bit more. Anybody know of any good websites that might have good priced gear?

What would be a good weight to train with later if I did want to start to get used to carrying weight (Im pretty confident I can load carry a decent amount across a good 15-30 miles)?
timex

Post by timex »

I still don't think you need to worry about carrying weights, remember when you get to CTC you will be slowly built up to carrying the heavier weights. First heavy thing you will carry will be your mate down on the bottom field doing a Fireman's carry..

Stick to the walking with 20-30kg (Weight of your fighting order and wpn).
daz89

Post by daz89 »

Ok I'll stick to 20-30 kg.. It was just to make it a little more challenging :D

Yeah I know fireman carrys! killer, I was planning on doing them with my mate down the beach, just hope no one thinks we're up to something else!

I was also planning on a walking/camping trip in the summer, anybody know anybody good places to do this? I live in Methil (Fife)! So pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks again!
timex

Post by timex »

daz89 wrote:Ok I'll stick to 20-30 kg.. It was just to make it a little more challenging :D

Yeah I know fireman carrys! killer, I was planning on doing them with my mate down the beach, just hope no one thinks we're up to something else!

I was also planning on a walking/camping trip in the summer, anybody know anybody good places to do this? I live in Methil (Fife)! So pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks again!

Well you've got the area around Fort William for starters numerous great routes, if you dont want to go that far then you've also got some pretty good coastal routes not too far away.
daz89

Post by daz89 »

Aye the coastal routes up through to anstruther and beyond, Im pretty lucky where I stay. I was thinking of walking the west highland way at some point when I get all my camping gear needed etc.. Anyone ever walked this before? Im sure it starts at Milngavie and ends in fort william, would be a good trip!

Just got myself a rucksack off ebay.. its 66 litre for a good price, the links below if you want to have a look.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT

I also got myself a pair of craghoppers of ebay aswell! link below:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT

All I'l need now is a decent deal on walking shoes, I seen a half price deal on karrimor shoes on JD sports so I’m thinking of buying them.

Thanks a lot for the info mate helped me a lot!
machinegundave

Post by machinegundave »

Go civvy hill walking by all means but don't bother with additional weight especially if you are returning from injury.

As said before they will build you up when you get there. All the other training sounds good though.