Share This Page:

Medical Next Up!...but worried

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Hummel

Medical Next Up!...but worried

Post by Hummel »

Hey guys,

My first post on here, been looking around here since i signed up a month ago, and its already my medical!

Well im worried...not hiding anything at all, but i have a huge phobia!

I heard there is a blood test involved, and i'm extremely afraid of blood taking, i cant even look at a needle entering the arm like that, im fine with it in the bicep etc, but not under the forearm!

This may sound pathetic, and slightly girly, but there are many like me, but wondering if theres an alternative test to what they want to know from a blood test ?

It's not like i just dont want it, but i get extremely paranoid, stressed, nausia, and possibly passout!

Any reply will be a huge help, thanks!
Tab

Re: Medical Next Up!...but worried

Post by Tab »

May I ask what section of the forces you are planning to join.
ofens

Post by ofens »

Any reply will be a huge help, thanks!
OK buddy try this.
We all have our own fears and pet hates, depending on our life experiences.
The way to approach this is to say right, I don't like it, but every one does it and they get through it, so I can too.
You'll still feel unhappy about it, but like a great many other things in life, you can choose to just do it anyway.

Specifically to your example, just don't look at the needle while it happens. It takes a few seconds and by the time you know it it's over :D
Good luck, hope this helps.

*thinks...*

This is a bite isn't it? :lol:
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

ofens wrote:

*thinks...*

This is a bite isn't it? :lol:
My first thought too.Good effort Sherlock 8)
Flintstone

Post by Flintstone »

Hey buddy.

I know its extremely difficult dealing with phobias. I used to be literally terrified of snakes and then I went travelling across asia. I saw so many different types of snakes and eventually towards the end of the trip I saw a snake and just thought "ah wow snake..." and now im fine with them. Best thing you can do Is tell the person who is doing the medical that you find it difficult to deal with needles and they will guide you through it because Im certain they have people coming though every single day who feel the same. Im not a fan of needles and Im sure others on here agree, but its a necessary part of your application and if you want it, you will find the inner strength to go and deal with it.

Its one small part of your career, don't let it stop you ;)
daz89

Post by daz89 »

Since this is in the rm forum Im guessing its a medical for the marines?.. Good news then.

You wont get a blood test until you start training, they will however squeaze your balls and ask you to cough! Whats worse? :lol:

Lol I was exactly the same as you mate, I used to hate needles! But after getting about 4 jags in my medical at the army I dont have that much a problem with them anymore. The same as you the one I dreaded the most was getting blood taken, but honestly it was probably the easiest one out the lot. It was done in the forearm and I can swear I hardly felt anything. You wont have a problem Im sure.