Share This Page:

Advice Please

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Flintstone

Advice Please

Post by Flintstone »

Hi everyone, Im looking for some advice really regarding joining the Royal Marines.
I looked into joining about 2 years ago and its only till recently I have made the decision to go ahead with joining the forces. I had been toying with the idea of joining the parachute regiment aswell as seriously considering the RM and now iv come to the decision that Rm is what I want to commit myself to. What mainly appeals to me is the history of the RM's and also the training which other elite units (paras) don't get such as arctic warfare and landing craft.

Anyway, to get to the point, I made and application for the para's because I thought I wanted to join them but now im regretting it as I understand what makes the para's special (the wings), is also obtainable if you are in the RM's. I have been to my pre adsc, and Iv had my second interview already. Am I committed to anything at this point? Or can I just go into the office, face the music and then apply for the RM's, or will it cause application problems for the RM's ? Im not worried by what the army recruiters may say to me because Im thick skinned, but honestly I don't want to sound disrespectful towards them by "dissing" the army basic training. How should I go about it?

Cheers
Wholley

Re: Advice Please

Post by Wholley »

Short answer without detail........
Go with your head.You have not wasted much of the army's money and it all eventually comes out of the same budget.
We don't appear to have any serving Booties aboard at the mo. but I'm sure someone with up to date intel. will spot your post.
timex

Post by timex »

No longer a serving "Bootie" but as Wholley has said, go with your head!

I wouldn't worry too much about excuses, just be honest and although they will try to change your mind just be firm about your choice. The recruiters will have this happen every now and again and I'm sure that the list of recruits is pretty long at the moment.

Couple of things to bear in mind though...

Para Trg in the RM is difficult to get.
Para Regt now have a big input to SFSG, which means a comprehensive skills set should you go there.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

timex wrote:No longer a serving "Bootie" but as Wholley has said, go with your head!
This is all quite new to me.......
Someone who agrees with a statement I've made :lol:
Jungle drums have been telling me that fresh out of the box Para's are going to Battalion without jumping out of perfectly serviceable aircraft as the Brylcreems don't have any to spare.
Not written in stone but pops up from time to time in the press.

Tab.......?