Share This Page:

Glasses/Contacts

"Be The Best" Discussions about the British Army.
James18

Glasses/Contacts

Post by James18 »

i was wondering, on adsc, and in the rest of training when are you ment to wear glasses, and when do you wear contacts?

when doing the P.T side of things are you ment to wear glasses or contacts? and do you get the time to put in and remove contacts?

My last question is once you are in the army is it possible to get laser eye surgery? i know if you get it before you join you need to wait a year before you can apply, but is it possible to get it once your in?

Any help would be greatly apprieciated, thanks
BARB - 82 Passed
Basic Skills Test - Passed
Medical Forms - Passed
ADSC- 23/11/10

Chosen Jobs: 1.Dog Handler 2.Driver 3.Ammo tech
sportbilly42

Re: Glasses/Contacts

Post by sportbilly42 »

Provided your eye-sight meets the minimum criteria (ie you're not as blind as a bat) you wear whatever face furniture you need to as the situation dictates and use your noggin... If your eyesight is that bad that you can't see anything apart from blurred shapes without your inch thick lenses, then the chances are you wouldn't get in in the first place....

If you're on classwork/office work then it's specs or whatever you're comfortable with. For PT then it's a decision on what type of PT. BFT/CFT? (ie running/forced marching) you should be ok with specs. Assault course/stretcher race/seriously arduous phys with a potential for getting caked in mud? Leave the specs behind and either use contacts or do without and hope there's not too much 'firing at targets' at the end....

If you do boxing during basic... keep your glasses ON... Nice guys don't hit other nice guys wearing glasses apparently.... :lol: (note: Watch out for the 'not so nice guys')

I think the only specified criteria is that lenses shouldn't be used during the gas chamber drills part of military training......

Oh... and you won't be given a head start over everyone else by being given extra time to put in lenses....

Regarding the possibility of getting laser surgery once you're a member of HMForces; Any serving soldier wishing to have corrective laser eye surgery may do so at his/her own risk, at his/her own expense, and must inform the chain of command and gain permission from their Medical Officer. You may be medically downgraded to non-deployable for one year or until healing has been deemed to have occurred.

Hope this helps....

(As always.... I may be talking absolute bollox but this is I believe correct info at time of typing and after having necked a bottle of wine) hic :drinking:
James18

Post by James18 »

thank you very much, that was a massive help and has put my mind at rest a bit. bring on adsc and phase one then!
BARB - 82 Passed
Basic Skills Test - Passed
Medical Forms - Passed
ADSC- 23/11/10

Chosen Jobs: 1.Dog Handler 2.Driver 3.Ammo tech
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

Bloody hell James! Lights out!! It's one in t' mornin'... (you made me jump responding so soon!) :lol: