Share This Page:

Query re son who is in 40 commando......

Discussions about those units who make up the Commando’s.
mollygrub

Query re son who is in 40 commando......

Post by mollygrub »

Hello all, hope someone can please help me ... my son is in 40 Commando and myself and his girlfriend are just wondering a couple of things...

He goes to Afghan next year - do they put on a family day of any sort prior to the lads going off....

Also, what sort of comms can we expect from him whilst he is in Afghan?

Many thanks for any help from anyone..... his lovely girlfriend is very keen to have some dialogue with girlfriends/wives etc of other lads who are going to be out there too.....

Thanks v much in advance. Moll
timex

Post by timex »

Molly, the best person to ask will be your son. He will get all the details nearer the time. I left a couple of years ago and their is/was a pretty good internet package.
mollygrub

Thanks

Post by mollygrub »

Well you would think so but communication not his best point - he grunts more than speaks! Thanks for taking the time to reply....
matt2206

Post by matt2206 »

My son has curently completed 3 tours of afghanistan (1 with 45CDO and 2 with ASGRM), there are various ways to keep in touch with your loved one, the obvious is to write letters, the lads look forward to these and they can be a highlight when times are tough.

The lads also get 30 free minutes to call home every week and can buy extra minutes, the are given a phone card with a serial number, those at home can ring the number (get these of your son nearer to deployment) and leave voicemail for your son to pick up.

There is also ebluey's which are sent through the BFPO website, eblueys are letters you send online which are printed out and delivered to your loved one usually within 24 hrs, these are very popular both at home and on deployment: http://www.bfpo.mod.uk/ebluey_home.htm

Lastly and certainly not least, there is the RNCOM website which is very popular with wives and girlfriends, mum's n dad's, the site has sections for all RM units and is a great way to talk to people in the same situation, you can find out what's going on when you've not heard from your loved one in a while (they may be on op's and cant call home) It's great for getting support from others who know how you are feeling when your finding it hard. I would highly recommend it: https://www.rncom.mod.uk

Hope the info helps
mollygrub

Thanks so much

Post by mollygrub »

Oh that is brilliant I wil pass on the website to his girlfriend and I will check it out too.....

Did you get an opportunity to gather together (like we did on family day for example) prior to them going?

You are so kind to reply and I do appreciate it.... Thanks, Moll
OWK

Post by OWK »

Molly,
40 Cdo RM has, duties permitting, hosted open days for the public.