Share This Page:

Joining/Medical

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
dorsetdom

Joining/Medical

Post by dorsetdom »

Hi, im just wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice and help. I had an application going through to join the RAF regt and was on the medical stage and waiting for an answer back. But in that time of waiting i decided i had made a mistake and didnt really want to join the RAF regt as they don't seem to do that much, and instead i wanted to join the Marines. I was planning to go to my AFCO (Exeter) today and cancel my RAF application and have a chat with the Royal Marine recruiter. But i received a letter from the RAF Saturday informing me that they cant take my application any further as im apprently not at the medical standard, i passed everything on the medical and the only thing which let me down is that i had mild eczema a few years ago. On the letter i received it said i can either appel or they want me to re-apply in 12 months time, which im obviously not going to as i dont want to join anymore.

What im asking is if i went to a different AFCO (Bournemouth) and spoke to the Royal Marine recruiter would they let me start an application even though i failed my RAF medical. I havent had eczema for over 3 years and ive been to the doctors today to get my medical records to prove that.
Ive read else where on the internet that you have to be clear of eczema for 3 years to join the Royal Marines, does anyone know if thats true?
I think i wasnt really treated that well by the doctor at exeter and didnt really have a fair hearing, and my GP was shocked this morning when i told her as shes heard of people getting in with eczema cases a lot worse than mine.

Im sorry for the long post and id appreciate any help or info you can give.