Share This Page:

Joining the RM, issue with medical

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
ConanTheLibrarian

Joining the RM, issue with medical

Post by ConanTheLibrarian »

Long, rambling post alert:

Ok, here goes. I've taken my time deciding I wanted to become a marine. My family isn't military in any way, which is probably why.

So, after a trip to Edinburgh (yeah, I know we have a recruitment office in Aberdeen) I applied to be an officer. Unfotunately, because my 26th birthday is this Sunday, a lady rang up to tell me I was to old to be eligible, unt das was das.
I was grumpy about it, but I thought, seeing as the upper age limit on the RM reserves was 34, I could join them, and join the regulars after that.

Here's the problem and I'm going to explain it in detail. I have petit mal epilepsy. This is NOT the same as grand mal, where you fall over and have a fit. In petit mal, you have an 'absence'. Basically you can be unconscious standing up.
Worse for me is that I have a very very very mild case of it - I never knew I had it until my sister said I 'fluttered' my eyes every now and then for about a second. That was about 4 years ago - we had it checked out and lo and behold, I had a minor case of epilepsy recorded in my medical records, apparently brought on by hyper ventilation (not lights as many of you might expect)
I could guarantee you right now, that if they withdrew the 100mg tablet I take daily for it, I'd never suffer a fit. I go up mountains on bikes, compete in 100mile + races, train in the gym, just about everything I could throw at myself to induce a fit never works - and that was also before I took tablets. It was a childhood condition when I was 8-10 and was treated but not checked up on. When I was 'rediagnosed' it turned out that they stopped treatment too early, and I still had this slight epileptic murmur. In theory then, I had between the age of 18 & 22 to join the RM, and no one would have been the wiser because no one would have ever seen a fit.

After applying once to the reserves, they said I can't join because I have epilepsy. This applies across the forces and as a result I'm frustrated because as soon as I mention it's in my medical, everyone goes 'you'll have a massive attack in a stress situation and become a liability'.
There is so much stigma attached to the condition now, they don't even bother to check the severity of it and see how capable you are. This is going to sound arrogant but I bet you I could beat anyone in taking the pain of RM training. I live for that stuff.

40-50 million people live with this condition, surely you can't just say you've got epilepsy and write someone off?

Is there nothing that I can do? I don't want to give up on something that I'd love and could make a career out of.
barrybudden

Post by barrybudden »

You sound like you would be about as much use as as tits on a fish... You as an officer standing in the middle of Afgan fluttering your eyelids every 10 minutes and blokes getting shoot at.
timex

Post by timex »

My son in law has something similar, it has taken the doc 4-5 years to get his meds right. DVLA rescinded his driving license and he has only just got it back, like him it sounds as though you need meds to control your minor illness, if that is the case then do you really think it would be wise for the Corps to accept you?

30' up the Tarzan assault course or wall, abseiling, dunker training, firefights would you not want to be aware of where you are even for a split second?
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

sorry to say dude but i dont think you will pass the medical, i went and you do a eye test and dot test which i belive is to test for epilepsy so you might have to see how that goes.

Also they got a VERY detailed medical questionaire, which they go though i mean very detailed, so you would have to tell them about it and i not sure what they might say.

epilepsy in itself no matter what form, i belive is going to putt the corps off sinse from their veiw all it takes is 1 attack at the wrong time and it game over.

i guess it like a heart condition, my mate had one, never knew it, untill doctor did a scan, he was fit as can be, but he cant join any armed forces due to it, yet it never affects him.

I remember on news once a marine died due to a heart condition during a hard exercise yomp, it one of those things where you never know how bad it is untill our body it put into those extreame conditions which RT does.

i suggest you consult a few, or at least 2 doctors about epilepsy and the fact you want to go into the corps, and see what they can say.
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

Im sorry to hear your predicament fella, it must be very frustrating and I can understand as I have been through something similar myself. I have been in 4 para for a few years when I was younger and I then went on the join the regular forces at a later age. I passed the medical and got in however my eye test was bit dodgy but passed with a new pair of glasses. however all was not well as a few month into training after going into the doctors for something unrelated, I was later diagnosed with having a detaching retina and mild kerratoconus. they caught it just in time as it hadnt fully detached, which with hindsight from my point of view was a good thing. Point is a detaching retina is a bar from service. Although I had surgery and they eye is as good as new and was a detachment from an 'impact' injury not a natural weakness, I cant rejoin just because its classed as an eye problem and a bar from service. Now its true only I can guage how my eyesight is (in my opinion its fine) but there is probably a whole host of reasons why I cant rejoin. Im as 'war'ry as the best of them and I too relish any challenge on the old fitness stakes. Iv laid it to rest now, but I can totally understand your frustration mate.
'Every man an Emperor'
Timecop

Post by Timecop »

Had my medical (sat 20th june) passed everything no worries but then was asked :

"Have you ever had a chest xray?"

I replied:

"yeah when i was 4-5yr old for a heart murmur i had, but i was signed off and disscharged after having a yearly chest xray til i was 7yr old as i had outgrown the murmur and was no longer an issue and never had any problems at all"

Imagine how gutted i was when i was told:

"right well you have passed everything ok, HOWEVER i want to defer you as medically unfit for 3months pending further info about your heart murmur from your GP. I have checked you out and there is no signs or sounds of any heart murmur but i would like clarification from your gp"

!! G-U-T-T-E-D !!

Now got to wait for him to write to my gp then my gp to confirm thats correct before next stage, anytime between now and 3months!! AAARRRGGGHHH!!

Have arranged appointment with my gp to ensure there is no further delays as the AFCMO said as soon has he receives the required info ill be signed as fit for duty!

!! S-T-R-E-S-S-E-D & G-U-T-T-E-D !!
EagleEyes

Post by EagleEyes »

Timecop wrote:Had my medical (sat 20th june) passed everything no worries but then was asked :

"Have you ever had a chest xray?"

I replied:

"yeah when i was 4-5yr old for a heart murmur i had, but i was signed off and disscharged after having a yearly chest xray til i was 7yr old as i had outgrown the murmur and was no longer an issue and never had any problems at all"

Imagine how gutted i was when i was told:

"right well you have passed everything ok, HOWEVER i want to defer you as medically unfit for 3months pending further info about your heart murmur from your GP. I have checked you out and there is no signs or sounds of any heart murmur but i would like clarification from your gp"

!! G-U-T-T-E-D !!

Now got to wait for him to write to my gp then my gp to confirm thats correct before next stage, anytime between now and 3months!! AAARRRGGGHHH!!

Have arranged appointment with my gp to ensure there is no further delays as the AFCMO said as soon has he receives the required info ill be signed as fit for duty!

!! S-T-R-E-S-S-E-D & G-U-T-T-E-D !!

Ahhhh unlucky pal. I feel for you, Just train hard mate in the time you got off, must be pretty shit but hopefully the months will fly by and you'll be in in no time.
Timecop

Post by Timecop »

:D :D Happy as a pig in s#@t!! :D :D

Further to the above medical resulting in my defferral of 3months, I have JUST had a phonecall from the AFCMO and I have been signed off as and declared fit for entry, he is forwarding the report back down to my AFCO first thing 2moro!!!! YYYAAAAAAYYY!!

Just interview and PRMC now guys!!

Feeling on top of the world now, just got to keep fitness up and stay injury free!!!!!!