Share This Page:

Is this going to be a problem?

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
adamaberystwyth

Is this going to be a problem?

Post by adamaberystwyth »

Hello all!
I am currently a student at Aberystwyth university, and am a member of the local OTC. I intend to become a Royal Marine officer after university, but i want more of a challenge whilst at university too.
So, I was possibly thinking of being a TASO (TA sponsored officer) with 4 Para.

I am fully aware of the rivalry between RMs and Paras, and my ambition to join the RMs would not be impaired by this, but I was just wanting to know if it's going to be of any hinderence to me joining the RMs? Will I be discriminateed against (whether intentionally or sub-consciously) during POC and AIB, or will i just get a bit more of a thrashing during training?

As i said, I'm not looking at the paras for a career, just a challenge whilst i'm at university, as the nearest RMR to me is an unreasonable distance away, whereas when i'm at home, the 4Para HQ is 20 minutes from my house.

Thank-you for any advice
bigdog

Post by bigdog »

No it wont be a problem. However to become a TA sponsored officer takes a lot of commitment and also takes over a year so im not sure how you will manage that when living part of the time so far away from the TA centre.
adamaberystwyth

Post by adamaberystwyth »

It does take lots of time and commitment, but much of my training is done through the OTC and not through 4 Para. I have very little requirements to attend with 4 Para (only a few weekends per year, and their 2 week annual camp). My MTQ1 and 2 training will be done with Wales UTOC.
The only main extras will be doing MTQ3 during next summer, and then TACC the following september.
Thanks