Share This Page:

Sickness during running

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
d.foggers

Sickness during running

Post by d.foggers »

Before I ask, thought I'd just quickly introduce myself.

I was on here a summer or two ago, preparing for a POC. Got a date for last summer, was excited about it but failed my medical due to honesty, as well as sore knees while running. But that's taken care of now, until I had another slight set back and have to wait yet another year as I take a surprise gap year.

Anyway my question has to do with eating and running (I know you can't do both at the same time...). Ever since I started running properly which was about 3 or 4 years ago I seem to have trouble... digesting food which causes pain when I run. It's not that suddenly I have trouble digesting it, but I find that even 3 hours after eating something I can still feel it in my stomach.

The other day I had a small breakfast, bowl of cereal (can't remember which, something healthy I think) and was considering going for a run but thought I should have some lunch first and had a small bagel. Two and a half hours later I went for a run, wishing before I had just gone on my run and when I did I felt really ill. The same happened today, and I only ate a bowl of cereal (not so healthy) and waited 3 or 4 hours for my. I still felt ill but I finished it and other wise it was a good run.

I could understand if I'd only waited just over an hour after a dish of lasagne which occurred at school but this is getting weird and annoying.

A few other factors that might help:
- I haven't been doing as much intense running as before, during summer I was running up and down Dartmoor three times a week plus upper body workout. Recently I've only been able to get out once a week in a city due to work, but this weekend uped my workout.
- Bowels are fine, never been better.
- Cutting down on drink, like a beer every other night. Usually it's a light yeasty ale and occasionally I wake up feeling slightly hung over even though I don't drink the night before.
- I'm in America, could it be to do with the food or something?

Anyone have similar issues or any advice? I thought maybe it's a slow metabolism but seeing as I can eat a lot I haven't put on any bad weight and I'm cutting down on junk food.
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

I'm no expert but it could be a number of things... eating to much, not enough, eating to close to a run, not close enough, not drinking enough water or drinking to much water . Maybe the fact it was milk (in the cereal) might have 'churned' the stomach.

I personally find eating two hours before and drinking water up to a hour before a work out works nicely for me but it really is a case of what works for you.

Cearial wouldn't constitute a pre work out meal for me... I usually have a large portion of veg, stake/chicken/tuna etc (good protien source) and mabye a half a cup of brown rice.

I'm rather anal with what I eat though, I have to make a weight for boxing and you don't need to be so clean but try a substantial meal with solid foods and complex carbohydrates for energy... see how that goes

The human body is a complex thing and if it's giving you real grief seek medical help, but if it's just a ' pain in the ass' type thing then just play around until you find what works.

Stokey
d.foggers

Post by d.foggers »

Hmm...

wonder if it is dairy based. The thing is though I'm leaving loads of time between meals and a run, like 3 hours. Not sure if it's the amount of food as I've done with a lot and a little.

Might just experiment next weekend.