Share This Page:

swimming

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
azard9330

Post by azard9330 »

its actualy my worsed swim at the moment because i prefer the front crawl so ill have to be doing more breast stroke
psychometric test- passed
eye test- passed
interview- passed
medical- passed
pjft- passed
prmc- passed
rt- 5th of november
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

im a good swimmer and i wished the swimming test was harder then i could get more points from it...

anyhow if you want help il try give advise, sinse like i said im pretty good.

heres the "offical" swimmers list of easy strokes to hard ones.

easy
breast-stroke but i think marines use it sinse it a "stealth" stroke and breast stroke also means you can carry stuff as well as swim properly...try doing freestyle with a gun, i dout it possible.

medium

backstroke, good for medium distance but need good arms and technique to do properly.

hard
freestyle or frontcrawl, fast effective one of my best strokes though need strong upper body to push though water. good for making fitness better.

hardest.

butterfly, VERY upperbody, extreamly hard unless know proper technique, i advise no one do butterfly in training unless know how or you could get bad back pain and neck pain. still a great stroke for fitness if done well.
azard9330

Post by azard9330 »

i did the butterfly a while ago and injured my shoulder the frot crawl is still my favourite i do the stroke but not the frogy legs for the breast stroke
eye test- passed
interview- passed
medical- passed
pjft- passed
prmc- passed
rt- 5th of november
Mr_Kiwi

Post by Mr_Kiwi »

Jarhead, you missed the fact that if you do butterfly at the local pool you look like a complete idiot if you cant do it right, never mind an injury :P
'Peace is to important to be left to politicians'
azard9330

Post by azard9330 »

i do it perfect ill have you know and the injury was because im so powerful :wink:
eye test- passed
interview- passed
medical- passed
pjft- passed
prmc- passed
rt- 5th of november
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

^^ powerfull making a fool outa myself....

still if anyone wants tips or swim advise im allways pleased to help, sinse im crappy runner(well getting better), so i know what it like to be not good at something now.

still freestyle great for CV workouts, do 100mtr sprints then have 30 sec rest between each one.
Steve14

Post by Steve14 »

lewis wrote:It is if you wear a hairnet and don't put your head under the water like the old women at my local pool. They go so slow it can't be doing them any good.
Do 20 lengths breast Stroke under 10 min, then come back and say its Girly.

Crawl is a good workout though. I normally warm up with 20 breast stroke and then work on my crawl for a half hour or so, (3*16 lengths )then warm down with breast stroke at the end.
ofens

Post by ofens »

This thread is over a year old. Why bring it back
Well if someone wants to discuss a subject that already exists, without a completely new angle, it's probably more sensible to use an existing thread than start a new one to duplicate information.
I'm sure the mods will correct me if I'm wrong on this... 8)

I agree with Steve14, that's a good workout.
When I do my own swimming training I try challenging myself with things like that, and also hyperoxy sessions (how far can you go on one breath).
We use hyperoxy quite a lot in RM swimming training sessions, in Hunter.
It's a really good cardio workout!
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
smudger289

Post by smudger289 »

If you cant do a belly-flop dont even bother taking your trunks :roll:

:wink:
[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p271/butterbeanbootneck/smudger.jpg[/img]
INJURED!!
. . . . . . . . .
Steve14

Post by Steve14 »

GATES wrote:

I agree if he was asking a question on similar lines but he is given advice to some one that am guessing is even in RM now or left this site as the question was asked a year ago.
Sorry lads. I was doing a search on something unrelated and came across the thread. I answerd with a post before checking the date.