Share This Page:

What do the Regiment do on an average day?

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
rockapemk1

What do the Regiment do on an average day?

Post by rockapemk1 »

This was up on here a while ago, but as normal desended into chaos.

On a serious note what do gunners and officers in the Regiment do on an average day when not on exercise?
gr4pilot

Post by gr4pilot »

I did a week's work experience with 34Sqn at Leeming a couple of years ago. I don't know if it was a normal week but one of the flights was on a week's training exercise, another was doing general duties around the station I think, stock checking stores and fixing things up if I remember rightly. I was with HQ Flt who were training in the basics all week, on the range, morter drills etc.

Sittingstress is the best person to ask.
Jx ;)
flo

Post by flo »

0830...fall in
0900...milk and biccie run
1000...Naffi break
1030...shuffle some paper
1100...shuffle some more paper (officers shout a little...normally to people to shuffle paper a bit faster)
1200...conference about what to eat for scran
1230...Scran
1400...maybe make a phonecall or two
1500... End Ex for the day

And of course its sports on Wednesday afternoon and half day Friday.

Now can somebody remind me why i left.........QUICKLY :-?
rockapemk1

Post by rockapemk1 »

Come seriously lads.
Sittingstress, help a wannabe rock out here....please.... :lol:
flo

Post by flo »

Come seriously lads.
and ladesses!!!!!

Bollocking taken and whipped myself 50 times with the paddle,whilst shouting out, 'Sorry Sir, but please can i have another.' but banter never hurt anybody. :wink:
rockapemk1

Post by rockapemk1 »

Fair one. :lol:
Hostage_Negotiator

Post by Hostage_Negotiator »

flo wrote:
and ladesses!!!!!

Bollocking taken and whipped myself 50 times with the paddle,whilst shouting out, 'Sorry Sir, but please can i have another.' but banter never hurt anybody. :wink:
Steady Flo! (theres a joke there somewhere!)
You'll have all these red blooded youngsters lining up for a stint on the paddle! :lol:
gr4pilot

Post by gr4pilot »

Oh, I forgot to add that we drank lots of coffee, and played darts. I was also held down (it took about 6 rocks to do it - no really) and had 'Whelp' written on my forhead for putting a Cpl in his place, I still believe I was in the right.
sports on Wednesday afternoon and half day Friday.
I don't know where you were flo but the half day on fri at 34 was because there was a 10 mile run every fri afternoon.
Jx ;)
rockapemk1

Post by rockapemk1 »

gr4pilot wrote:had 'Whelp' written on my forhead for putting a Cpl in his place, I still believe I was in the right.
Yep,defo a Lord Flashart in the making there....
flo

Post by flo »

I don't know where you were flo but the half day on fri at 34 was because there was a 10 mile run every fri afternoon

Get a grip! i wore heels, and there was no way i was doing Phys with hairy arsed bootnecks................................well not during a weekday anyway :wink:
gr4pilot

Post by gr4pilot »

Yep,defo a Lord Flashart in the making there....
'Shut it Rocky before I fly back to England and give your wife something to hang her towels on!' :wink: [Standing next to my comp, fists on hips, chest out looking to the sky]
Jx ;)
Leigh Dowell

Post by Leigh Dowell »

Wished they'd joined something else?
Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate »

The same things as they did the day before
sittingstress

Post by sittingstress »

Owing to the diversity of the Regt your day can vary greatly depending on what type of unit you are serving with. I will concentarte on a typical Sqn day though as I expect that is where you will end up for your first tour.

Saying that, it depends on where you are are in the training/ops cycle as to what you will be getting up to. If you are within 3 or 4 months of disappearing off somewhere on a tour then the Sqn will be concentrating heavily on getting skills up to speed so expect ranges, minor exercises and of course leave.

During the training cycle TJD has it wrapped up really; career courses, nice to have courses, the odd exercise and of course leave.

It is true to say though that there is an element of "Hurry up and wait" at times. This is pretty standard for most mobs though. If managed correctly this is the time when you will be "developed" as a Rock. Expect to find yourself playing games that invlove an element of pain, or you may well have the privilege of an unusual view of the hangar floor (suspended from a hoist)!!

We are a pretty diverse lot and I believe that is where our strength is. The banter is ferocious and it took me several years to learn to get comments in first rather than wait for it to kick off and be on the back foot.

As a junior officer on a Flight well, it may sound a bit Hollywood but your role really is to shut up and listen to your Tac Sgt. He will (if he is any good) sit you down in your office on Day 1 and explain politely yet seriously that you will not make any decisions that affect his men without running it past him first. He will allow you to come up with all sorts of plans and schemes that you think are great and novel but no doubt are actually re-inventing the wheel. He will then explain this and the idea will go away. If you have a good Tac Sgt and you are reasonable enough to understand that he is there primarily for his men (which involves shielding them from the Junior Officer Good Ideas Club) then you will exit your first tour as a well grounded young man. Listen to what he says and learn. I have met many Officers who have slated there first SNCO and funny old thing but they have been total goobers themselves.

Regards

ss

PS Obviously I spend my days beating women off with a stick as I am marvellous!
Per Ardua