Share This Page:

Failing fitness test

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
susan

Failing fitness test

Post by susan »

My daughter is hoping to join the navy and has passed her medical, interview and failed her first fitness test. She has another on Wednesday and we both don't think she will do it, she was very unfit and unfortunately hasn't done as much training as she should have done.
Anyway she is hoping to cancel this weeks and put it off for a month to get fitter, will she be able to do this with no injury? What would happen if she were to fail all three attempts?
Would it be a case of come back in 6 months time or is that it?
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Send her round my house Susan - I`ll soon beast her into shape for you :D

She might not even want to go in the Navy after that.
thebrasso

Post by thebrasso »

on a serious note, it may be necessary to tell a bit of a white lie and say she has an injury, i know thats what i would do if i was in her shoes.

then go out and put the miles in, you'd be surprised what you can achieve in as little as 4 weeks.
voodoo sprout

Post by voodoo sprout »

I'd say the best thing to do is to ask the AFCO, as it's not in their interests to send someone for a fitness test if they know they won't pass. And I think the various tests and so on are valid for six months, so you should be able to ask for an extension. If you do though, it would be best for her to get more time than really necessary just to make sure; having an extension and still failing wouldn't make a good impression :-?.

Certainly I wouldn't advocate lying about an injury to the AFCO, it's bad form and if they realised (what happens if they say "come into the office so our doctor can have a look"?) the chances of getting any further would be an awful lot smaller.
Fluffy bunnies - Grrrrr!
susan

Post by susan »

She's decided to just go for it. If she fails this one she has promised to stick to a fitness plan I'm givng her. If she had listened in the first place we wouldn't be on the 2nd attempt.
She's 16 and knows best (not)
Here's hoping she passes tomorrow.
Thanks to everyone who replied.
thebrasso

Post by thebrasso »

yeah, in hindsight voodoo sprite is right, faking an injury as an excuse wouldn't exactly display integrity would it?

hope all goes well.
jay999

Post by jay999 »

yea god luck and if it all doesnt go to plan i found quite a few fitness programmes on the net which i will post when i have time. Just stick to getting some form of exercise everyday but being careful not to do too much too quickly.
Gunn

Post by Gunn »

honestly b4 the next test 2 months is what she needs, get lots of variation with training, sprints one day, long running training, start playing football etc... that makes you exhausted but all good fun so it takes her mind off it, if all else fails buy a nice electric cattle prod and run behind her :)
susan

Post by susan »

Failed again I'm afraid. Fitness instructor took her heart rate, 190+, peak flow reading 350.
Her pf was 350 when she had her medical.
Went back to Navy and he sugessted go to docs to rule out any problems, i.e. asthma. Doc was useless, but her pf was up to 400. For her age, height it should be 450 so I don't think it's a concern. Anyway she's off to see asthma nurse on monday, I personally don't think it's asthma. It had better not be or that's the navy over with.
I think she just gets herself all wound up under test conditions which in return sends her heart racing.
Navy has said if doc can't find anything she's to go back and he will send her to portsmouth to see their doc and run a couple of tests. He said she can have as many fitness tests as it takes for her to get in, very nice I thought.
Maybes if she could do the fitness test at her usual gym where she won't get stressed out she'd be o.k.
Have to wait and see what asthma nurse says on Monday.