Share This Page:

tiff

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
bennett_42

tiff

Post by bennett_42 »

I have applied to be a weapons artificer and passed all the tests and interview. I am now losing weight and gaining fitness so i can complete the application procedure and get my starting date. I was wandering though what artificers do when they are on board a ship or sub and have no maintanence or repair work to carry out? Basically i am asking what other duties are carried out by the tiffs? Is it also true that tiffs are disliked on board because they earn more and get to use senior messes etc? Im really looking fwd to joining up and facing the challenge of tiff training! I hope all my aspirations are realised though and that i will enjoy my training as much as i am told i will.
Thanks in advance for any answers
Kris
Greg S

Post by Greg S »

You should have a idea of what the job involves if you applied for it, yikes.

Anyway, here is a link you might find useful.

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/rn/content ... 8&x=3&y=16
SeaCat

Post by SeaCat »

The Artificer.
A WEA, onboard, they deal with all the circutry onboard, primarily. During Emergency stations, they make up the "Tiger Teams" (Electrical repair)
At other times they are also Foreplanesman.(At Killick level)
At PO/Chief level. Panel watchkeeper at Sea. Or, A Maintainer of there relevent section.(Strategic, Sonar, Tactical or Radio).
On board subs, there isnt much seperation, everyone has to work together, or the thing would`nt work in the first place.
Thats the experience ive had onboard. The two Killick wea`s we have on board are top bloakes.
Its a shame the websites dont really tell you anything about what its like. But not being a tiff myself I cant really say. Its along time to be at HMS Collingwood, I was there for 3 months, and that was bad enough. 3 years.........ouch. One of the best branches still around, you get some of the best Civvy qualifications. Read what the site say, just remember all that, spurt it out at all the interviews and crap. Because on tiffs course. its "Cram and regurgitate" as theres alot to learn.........
bennett_42

Post by bennett_42 »

I have a real good idea what a tiff does so i know what i am letting myself in for. I really am excited at the prospect of being an artificer. Can u tell me what a Foreplanesman is though? someone mentioned it in an above thread. Thanks for all previous replies.
SeaCat

Post by SeaCat »

Sorry, Foreplanesman,To control the depth of a Submarine, My class of boat, has a Two Man control console. The Afterplanesman, controls the afterplanes and rudder. The Foreplanesman controls the foreplanes. Like i said these are pretty much like wings on a plabe and along with the ballast tanks control the depth of the sub......
Gazza_2004

Post by Gazza_2004 »

i am doing weapons tiff course atm, and in my 1st year of the degree side of training if there is anythin u wanna know just msg me and will get bk 2 u