Share This Page:

Children

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
aidi

Children

Post by aidi »

Hi,

I want to join the RAF but I'm worried that I'll disrupt my son's schooling/education too much. He's not a year old yet but I'll probably still be serving when he is of school age and I just wondered whether the experiences he'll have, coming with me on different posting (2/3 years, right?) will balance out the disruption issue.

Will he feel too unstable?

Any comments please?

Thanks
aidi
Biggles1211

Post by Biggles1211 »

The amont of disruption will depend on the trade/branch you apply for.

Many forces personnel make use of the very generous funding provided for baording school education. This offers a large degree of stability for your child, coupled with an excellent education. Although, some parents have a justifiable dislike of sending their child to a boarding school.
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

It isn't necessary to drag your family all over the country, my Dad used to be in the Navy, and we managed to stay in the same house since I was about 5. Did mean that we only saw my Dad at weekends when he was posted away, or not at all when he was on ship, but my Mum had some continuity in her career, and we were only 10 miles from my Grandparents. It is something you really need to sit down and discuss with your partner.
mercury

Post by mercury »

Ah the old "Turbulance" question

I dragged my kids all over the UK , never did them any harm , if anything it increased the number of "life experiences" they had.

Turned out to be little bastards though :(
"certa cito"
aidi

Thank you all

Post by aidi »

Thanks for your replies, they really helped.

I think I partly just needed to hear that there were others out there that have managed it successfully.
aidi
rawli

Post by rawli »

Your family will not be allowed to live on base during your basic at Halton but during your trade training and onwards it shouldn't be a problem.
Eat pie and fly - That's the multi-engined way
Biggles1211

Post by Biggles1211 »

my Dad used to be in the Navy, and we managed to stay in the same house since I was about 5.
The Navy system is very different to the RAF. I don't know of anyone who has kept a single house throughout their career - you simply move too far, too often for that to work.

Many people buy houses and then rent them as an investement. You can get good mortage deals, simular to buy-to-let, but with better interest rates because you are in the military. I think the common deal is that if you live in a house for at least 12 months, you can then rent it out without having to pay the excessive charges you get with buy-to-let.