Share This Page:

THINGS ARE CHANGING

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
Cav-Lad

Post by Cav-Lad »

Chapps wrote:
We use to have a fitness test in the British Army called the CFT - Combat Fitness Test, the same distance as a BFT, but run in boots wih 40lb webbing, helmet and weapon no sling.
Just out of interest, what was the time you needed to pass this test.

Cav-Lad
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

As well as being a great discussion, I couldn't help laughing at Chapps' "Queens Own Mess Tin Recovery" regiment and the "Kings Own Blanket Stackers" regiment!

Some of his comments, however controversial, have to go down as the most amusing I've seen on this forum yet! :lol:
mike_B

Post by mike_B »

I would just like to express that in no way does 'para_recruit' represent the average wannabe on this forum.

Sort your life out you w@#k.
ED

Post by ED »

Thank you mike_B, well said.
Cav-Lad, the test Chapps is referring to is in fact unique to the Parachute Regiment at least in recent times. Absoulutely f@#k horrible test done over a 2 mile course. It's used annually to test a battalions fitness levels along with a 10 mile tab. I can't remember exactly but I think 16-17 mins is an acceptable pass time.
Cheers,
ED.
Cav-Lad

Post by Cav-Lad »

ED wrote
the test Chapps is referring to is in fact unique to the Parachute Regiment at least in recent times. Absoulutely f@#k horrible test done over a 2 mile course. It's used annually to test a battalions fitness levels along with a 10 mile tab. I can't remember exactly but I think 16-17 mins is an acceptable pass time.
Sounds horrible mate.
But also sounds very similar to what we called the Brecon 2 miler, a anual test done a every Infantry Regiment and at depot. Again done over a 2 mile course, but carrying 44lbs wearing helmet and body armour and carrying a load but not made ready weapon. At the end you had to go down the range. The run had to be done in under 18 minutes or stand fast. But you must bear in mind that alot of the lads would do it in under 17 minutes.
Not quite up to the Para's standard, but at the same time no mean feat.

I think there is also abit of double standards here reguarding para-recruit. Everyone is showing there disgust at his total disrespect shown to the Parachute Regiment. But think that the sun shines out of Chapps ar@e when he shows a complete disrespect to other fine, proud proffesional Regiments. Who's colours are covered in battle honours and have just returned from the gulf a few men less. Which includes my Regiment. Like i've already said don't give it if you can't take it.

Also you would find that Chapps main critisism of the Infantry (don't forget that the Para's are also Infantry. Who's training only last's a couple of weeks longer than the rest. Infact the Guards may be longer. But I do concede that the physical side is alot harder) is that we run around with our pouches undone. This is complete c@ap. Do you realy think that the NCO's would let this happen. These are proud men. And remember as far as the Guards are concerned they are the elite when it comes to personal admin because of there ceremonial role.

Cav-Lad
Chapps

CFT

Post by Chapps »

I'm glad to hear that it's still in use ED. Is it still referred to as a CFT?

You're right about it being a real bastard of a test; it didn't matter what your best side was - strong at tabbing or strong at running, nobody was strong at the CFT.

The thing about it was the staff at depot could fit one in at a moments notice if they felt that the platoon wasn't working, as it was only 2 miles and took less than 30 minutes from "get in to the block and back out in CFT order" to " that was shit, you fu**ers better start working".

The whole test is done by running, so you never get a break in quick march to recover and I remember those that struggled would simply go again after scoff. When you took your helmet off at the end, the steam would pour off your head so you looked like Thomas the fu**ing Tank engine.

The only thing worse for a beasting was a trip over the humps... enough said.

I think the depot time was something like 17:30, if you came in at 20+ you simply went again.

Years ago there were 2 times for the CFT, 1 for Para Reg and a 2nd for the rest of the Army.

I know most failed more CFTs than they passed, blokes just couldn't fill their lungs up quick enough with the weight of the webbing.
Cav-Lad

Post by Cav-Lad »

Chapps quote
Years ago there were 2 times for the CFT, 1 for Para Reg and a 2nd for the rest of the Army.
Now days you would find it's 1 for Para Reg, 1 for Infantry, 1 for Artillary etc, 1 for REME etc and 1 for all the REMF's and that.

Different standards for different jobs.

Cheers
Cav-Lad
Chapps

Post by Chapps »

he shows a complete disrespect to other fine, proud proffesional Regiments
Cav-Lad, I am only speaking from my experiences. I have been on cadres with blokes from other regiments, including the Marines and I have met some bloody good blokes and enjoyed some banter with them during the day and in the pub afterwards.

Some blokes will come across as good humoured, professional and with good skills in the field, but I have been with some JNCO from hat regiments who have completely shocked me with their lack of ability. To get a tape up in the Reg requires a pass in D&Ds plus at least 4-5 years in battalion as a minimum. These fu**ers looked like they has just come up from depot.

One idiot managed to loose our 352 antenna and break the trailing wire, leaving us without comms, when I asked him for the BATCO wallet he has lost that as well.

I would not be having this dialogue with you if you were not British Army yourself, I’m sure you have some decent blokes in your troop, but looking back over my time there has been several occasions where I have been pissed off and have said “fu**ing Hats!”

I agree with you regarding The Guards. To much time doing bullshit, fine as barrack room soldiers but I'm not sure they are all there.

There was a RSM of 1st Batt Gren Guards who had obviously lost the plot - he once had the Provo Sgt jail his Pace Stick, because it fell over!

Im sure that the Para's at Arnham (forgive me if I spelt that wrong) would of cried out for craphat Tankies to of been there.
They Did! They were crying out for the hats, but the hats had stopped short at Oosterbeck because it was too dangerous to proceed, leaving the Reg to fight it out on their own.

If you read the history books, you will find out that the Yank Airborne lost half a company getting across the river, because they had a understanding of the Airborne brotherhood and wanted to help the British Airborne.

It was the Guards amoured bridge who would not advance untill their infanrty has arrived.

I think it was Maj Carlisle who first coined the Phrase "CrapHats" when he was left on that bridge alone :wink:
ED

Post by ED »

Chapps, it is still called the CFT mate. :wink:
Cav-Lad

Post by Cav-Lad »

Fair one Chapps.

I've enjoyed our firefight, we both got down as many rounds as each other so lets call a cease fire. (don't you just hate it when soiders talk military out of work).

I've just watched a program about the V.C. on BBC 2. Puts our silly arguments into prospective.

With your views and mine we will definitely run into each other again.
I've noticed that you and ED have only made a handfull of posts to this website. This shows me you only say saomething when you have something interresting to say. I'm sure alot of people talk s@~t on this site just to get there star rating up.(DON'T ASK ME WHY).

So I will now start searching the rest of the site to discover some wanabe's fitness plan. Or wanting to know how many press up's they need to do in a week to pass SAS Selection.

Cav-Lad
andy_s

Post by andy_s »

Not wanting to start an argument but......i'v just come back from my PRMC and we had a lecture on the realities of training. The WO2 went on to say that in week so and so that there's a 2 week live firing course and that no other regiment in British forces does live firing anymore as it's too dangerous......any truth in this statement?
cheers
Cav-Lad

Post by Cav-Lad »

I'm not even going to aswer that
Cav-Lad

Post by Cav-Lad »

OK I will.
Everyone in the Army from The Para's Pathfinders to the fat AGC chick working in accounts does live fireing excersise's.

Look i've got a bergan run tomorrow. I don't need another restless nights sleep because of what someone as said.
MFC

Post by MFC »

I think some clarity is needed here, P Coy has not changed. full stop. so who ever told who, It was, is, talking out of there back side.
The endurance phase of P Coy was started sometime after the trip down south. when it moved up north from beacon believe me it got much harder once it moved. the quality of men coming through the factory has not changed that much. OP Barras was proof of that.

The two Mile CFT I believe was started at the Parachute Regiment JNCO coarse that was later to become SCBC/PCBC and became open to all regiments after some winging COs from a number of regiments for example the Guards Div wanted their JNCOs/SNCOs to be of the same standard as Parachute regiment NCOs at the time
cambridgebloke

Post by cambridgebloke »

Now I know why i love this forum, you guys sound although you are all proud to be ex paras or infantry, I think you know that when the s**t hits the fan you would all work together.

Interesting to see how this would have ended up in the pub.

Outside?

:lol: :lol: si

PS: As for the comment earlier in the thread about outdated AK47's, I reckon 7.62 hurts whatever its shot from........