Share This Page:

Thinking of Joining the RAF Want to know what makes you join

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
Greg_Ed

Thinking of Joining the RAF Want to know what makes you join

Post by Greg_Ed »

Hi,

I'm interested in joining the RAF. I find that what makes me want to join is the excitement of visiting new places and getting out of England.

I'd really like to know what makes other people want to join, so that I can see whether it is really the best thing to do. It wasn't really a spontanious decision but I know it is a big one, so responses will be appreciated.

thanks,
Greg
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Hi Greg,
what trade are you thinking of going for? I joined up 4 years ago as a WSOp (L), and I can't now imagine doing anything else. Used to be a hotel manager for a large international chain, and was bored out of my brain, so I guess I joined up for the challenge, and to use my language skills.
Good bits - the social life, you'll never have mates like the ones you go through training with; Bad bits - not seeing the family as often as I'd like, and, erm, that's about it really!
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
bigdj

Post by bigdj »

Hyper, just on the family matter - how hard is it really to have a family while in the raf?
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

I think it kind of depends what trade you're in - it is always going to be difficult, but lots of people manage to do it. What your other half does for a living can also be a big factor.
From my own experience as the daughter of a Navy officer, it's probably easier in the RAF, as my Dad could be away for up to about 9 months at a time, which was really difficult for my Mum!
Sure other people will give their stories, as I'm not married, so for me at the moment, family means my parents and my big brother.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
bigdj

Post by bigdj »

Yeh i can imagine it been difficult but i suppose if you find the right person it can work. Cheers Hyper
Stu-Fowler

Post by Stu-Fowler »

My Dad was an RAF police officer he got posted to sardinia my mum was more than happy to move over there, then he got posted to Leuchars, They looked after us really well, But as above depends what trade,I was told Gunners move around more and spend more time away than any other trade.
RAF Regiment Gunner
Aplication:June 18th
Aptitude test:June 30th Passed
Formal selection interview:July 24th Passed
Medical:13th August Passed
PGAC:1st September Passed
Final Interview:18th December Passed
TGC:25th January

Long process!!
insert-coin-here

Post by insert-coin-here »

I joined on the promise of as many pairs of white socks as I wanted and free hotel's.

Unfortunately I joined as a gunner and so had black socks issued and was made to sleep in a puddle.
The Stig

Re: Thinking of Joining the RAF Want to know what makes you

Post by The Stig »

Greg_Ed wrote:Hi,

I'm interested in joining the RAF. I find that what makes me want to join is the excitement of visiting new places and getting out of England.

I'd really like to know what makes other people want to join, so that I can see whether it is really the best thing to do. It wasn't really a spontanious decision but I know it is a big one, so responses will be appreciated.

thanks,
Greg
well im from a large military family..mostly RAF... My maternal Grandad flew in Lancasters during the war then joined the Rock Apes post WW2 until 1974! My Paternal Grandad joined as a Tecky and got all the way to Warrant Officer, My Uncle was a Nav. who operated on Victors out of RAF Marham, my Dad was ATC! so its safe to say i have RAF blood in me and its something ive always wanted to do! thats why i wonna join!
crillin18

what made my join the r.a.f

Post by crillin18 »

well where do i start.
Reasons for me joing are:
Free pension
A great chance to see the world
Good recognisec qulifactions which can be used when you leave the r.a.f
The pay is good
Rent is cheap as chips and the ammount you pay for insurence and council tax is hardly anything compared to the civilan world
Job security
Job satisfaction
and last but not least a sence of pride that you get from being in the r.a.f
Hope this has helped in your quest to find out what maked people join the r.a.f
Thankyou
Crillin18
The Stig

Re: what made my join the r.a.f

Post by The Stig »

crillin18 wrote:well where do i start.
Reasons for me joing are:
Free pension
A great chance to see the world
Good recognisec qulifactions which can be used when you leave the r.a.f
The pay is good
Rent is cheap as chips and the ammount you pay for insurence and council tax is hardly anything compared to the civilan world
Job security
Job satisfaction
and last but not least a sence of pride that you get from being in the r.a.f
Hope this has helped in your quest to find out what maked people join the r.a.f
Thankyou
Crillin18
all that with me aswell lol