Share This Page:

OASC Myths cleared up

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
The Stig

OASC Myths cleared up

Post by The Stig »

As i was at OASC 3 weeks ago i thought id put some of the rumours to bed which seem to be on every forum i can find!

1) Interviews/Medicals and everything done after the aptitude tests is done in the green overalls (except the PJFT): True! So dont do what lots of candidates did at my course and take 3 suits with you lol waste of space, just take extra sporting gear to wear under your overalls.

2) All Aircrew have to do a Swimming test: False! they will asses your swimming ability at either RAF Halton or Cranwell at IOT, if you pass OASC;).

3) Candidates going for Branches which dont require aptitude dont have to sit the tests: False! Unlucky! If you thought you could stay in bed just because you were going for Rock Ape Officer and not Pilot think again! :lol:

If anyone wants anymore rumours that you've heard finalised just let me know!
davidgorjup

Post by davidgorjup »

3 different suits for 4 days..... thats abit excessive dont you think?
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

Hi Stig, pure curiosity, is there an actual requirment on swimiing
proficiency?

I ask because when I joined way back when there wasn't.
And I couldn't swim anyway, I did my whole RAF service not being able to swim, I only learned to swim when I joined the Met police, which DID HAVE a requirement, the PTI said "Basically unless you can swim mate you don't pass it" I learned to swim in two weeks! And even took my lifesaving certificate alongside all the other recruits.
Stu-Fowler

Post by Stu-Fowler »

davidgorjup wrote:3 different suits for 4 days..... thats abit excessive dont you think?
3 suits? maybe 3 shirts and a couple of ties but 3 suits?
RAF Regiment Gunner
Aplication:June 18th
Aptitude test:June 30th Passed
Formal selection interview:July 24th Passed
Medical:13th August Passed
PGAC:1st September Passed
Final Interview:18th December Passed
TGC:25th January

Long process!!
davidgorjup

Post by davidgorjup »

Stu-Fowler wrote:
davidgorjup wrote:3 different suits for 4 days..... thats abit excessive dont you think?
Thats what I plan on doing, I dont own 3 suits so I'll be fine =]
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

Stu-Fowler wrote:
honest to god mate there was a guy there who had 3 suits lol different jackets and trousers lol!!!
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

London Boy wrote:Hi Stig, pure curiosity, is there an actual requirment on swimiing
proficiency?

I ask because when I joined way back when there wasn't.
And I couldn't swim anyway, I did my whole RAF service not being able to swim, I only learned to swim when I joined the Met police, which DID HAVE a requirement, the PTI said "Basically unless you can swim mate you don't pass it" I learned to swim in two weeks! And even took my lifesaving certificate alongside all the other recruits.
depending on what branch/trade you go for they will test your swimming ability at either IOT or at Halton! its not a need for OASC thats for sure