Share This Page:

What happenes today

Non Military Chat. A place for chats or dross and down right pointless posts, you decide.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Copper Bottom Guarantee, This term came about after the RN ships had copper metal sheets attached to their hulls to stop them being fouled by weeds and other marine creatures.
Pilgrim Norway

Post by Pilgrim Norway »

Re my last - I ought to add :-

Come to think of it I was World Famous in Guz after my sojourn
In the Naval Hospital……

Right leg in a full plaster cast from ankle to hip – two sticks……..
We were allowed out for air just in time to grab a pint before lunchtime
‘Closing’ – but I – being an old hand was a member of a gambling club
on Union Street which had it’s own private bar – opened at two p.m.
room for about four customers..... and a slot machine....

Result was that I and another lad were several sheets to the wind by the
time we went back to the ward……. Unfortunately he fell on the stairs…..

Whilst in the full length plaster I scored with a local girl….. Hence the Fame….

Take a look at :-
http://www.stichill.bordernet.co.uk/his ... ingle.html
From the family of 'Our' old CGRM who was a Lt in 'My' time.....
( info same page )...

'Aye
Trog
45 Recce yomper

[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Doc

Post by Doc »

What was the name of the pub at the main gates at RNH Guz? I can see it in my head but it wont transfer to my mouth :evil: :evil:

I sang Tom Jones in there one night and got a few free wets (afterward realising it was to shut me up!)

I passed out the first weeks of MA training at Haslar in the top 5 and we were sent down to Guz for our on ward training, did 4 weeks there and 2 weeks back in Haslar (about 5 rotations of this), hated Haslar but loved RNH Guz must be said. Shame they closed it down. They had a building that was left as it stood after the luftwaffe bombed it during the unpleasentries of the 1940's.

Aargh its doing my head in I cant remember the name of that pub, the pub at the other end of the front wall on the roundabout was a poofters haunt, which myself and an oppo realised after drinking our first pint!!! Large steps out the door. 2 mins from union Street and the pub that was called Star of the West, strong cider and carried home drunk as a skunk.

Mixed accom when I was there aswell, and downstairs was a social club, I did a few examinations on nurses in the TV room :lol:

Fell in love with a civvy Physio who I still hold a flame for to this day, messed it up at the last hurdle and was gutted for months.

Good old RNH Guz, sadly missed, but never forgotten..............well that farking pub name is :evil:
Last edited by Doc on Fri 06 Jan, 2006 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Artist

Post by Artist »

Pass on that one Doc. Can't remember a Pub near to the maingate Oppo. Nearest one was up one of those side streets on a corner.

The JJ Moore is now a bloody Christian Aide Centre!!!!!!!! Coffee, tea n biccies only! And a chance for some Twonk to Spout Stories from the Bible. Once got heaved out of the Lighthouse on the Strasse as I and me Oppos decided to use lawn darts instead of normal darts on the Dartboard. Owd Yank git who ran the place went apeshit!! :D

Artist
Doc

Post by Doc »

The Office

next to the main gates at the old RNH Guz, phew thought I was going mad :lol:
Artist

Post by Artist »

Never heard of it Doc. Must have been renamed after my last visit.

Artist
Mike

Post by Mike »

Skiffle wrote:Heads Pussers name for the toilet, came about from saving the modesty of the highest ranking officer on ship. If the officer needed the toilet he would hang himself over the edge while a cry of 'Heads' went out.

The cry was to ensure all lower ranks turned their heads away to save the modesty of the officer. This ensured his modesty could never be questionned and also help to avoid mutinies. 8)
Skiff... Not in my book? Though I might be wrong.

Heads were situated fwd, At the Head of the ship, either side of the Bow sprit. The heads, plural, were a small seat with hole and nawt much else, the ships company would us them for their daily constitutional.... they were also handily placed, especially in roughers for a good flush by the bow wave... You can imagine the qeue following a good run ashore on the Pop in Pompy!!

I have just come up with this from one of my refference books...Not too sure about it as I've not heard if before: Take it with a pinch of salt: JR Any Ideas?

Another one is the derogatory term "tow rag" to describe someone of dubious character.

This comes from the rag tied to a length of rope that was constantly dangling in the water at the head of the ship where the ships toilets or "heads" were situated. This was pulled up to be used.... you guessed it...... as the communal toilet paper.

As for the Poop Deck.... Nothing to do with shitting... The officers of course had Commodes.

The Poop Deck:
The name originates from the Latin, puppis, or the elevated stern deck. In sailing ships, with the steerage at the stern, an elevated position was ideal for both navigation and observation of the crew.

Aye
Mike
Last edited by Mike on Fri 06 Jan, 2006 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Honourable Lord Mike of Loch Borralan
.........................Because I AM Worth IT..xxxx.......Never Mistake Motion for Action
Mike

Post by Mike »

You Want More?..... I’m sure that JR and I could carry on all night....

OK... To freeze the balls off a brass monkey!.... Not as naughty and you think.
The Powder monkeys were responsible to the number 1 of the gun, to supply the powder and shot (Cannon Balls) weighing from 12 to 33 lbs each and these had to be hauled from the hold.

To assist them in this task the wee lads were issued with a brass tray (Brass Monkey), similar looking to good old Mum's cupped trays in which she bakes fairy cakes... Onto these trays the powder monkeys would place the canon balls, building up a pyramid of shot. This would enable them to easily slide the shot along the deck to the right cannon.....However... In extreme cold weather the Brass Monkeys would contract faster than the cannon balls, causing them to pop off the monkeys and run lose across the decks...Hence the saying....."Cold enough to freeze the Balls off a Brass Monkey"
.........................Because I AM Worth IT..xxxx.......Never Mistake Motion for Action
Mike

Post by Mike »

Another saying, that is not widely used these days is…
“To knock the guilt off his/their Gingerbread” meaning to ‘Knock some one down a peg or two’ which is a naval saying in its self….. or more likely to bring someone back to base level.

During the Napoleonic wars the stern sheets, that’s the very back end of the ship, of the French and Spanish were highly decorated with ornate carvings covered with gold, these were known as the Gingerbread.
The British Tar would wager between the guns crew to see which crew could knock the most Gingerbread off the enemies stern….. Hence the saying “To knock the Guilt off their Gingerbread
Mike

Post by Mike »

Sweet Fany Adams, Although not steeped in history, did eminate from the RN.

Believe it or not the expression SWEET FANNY ADAMS (SFA) was a Naval expression that became incorperated within normal language. Fanny Adams (Sweet Fanny Adams) Was the child victim of a notorious Victorian murder case. Fanny Adams aged approximately nine was murdered at Alton, Hants on 24 April 1867. The murderer (Frederick Baker, a solicitor\'s clerk, aged 29) cut the body up into pieces, some of which were allegedly found in Deptford Victualling Yard.

Baker was tried at Winchester and hanged in December 1867. At about this time tinned mutton was introduced into the Navy and soon acquired the name of Fanny Adams. The tins were subsequently used by sailors as mess gear. The name "fanny" is still the Naval slang for a cooking pot as well as being used in the nickname sense. ;)
Last edited by Mike on Sat 07 Jan, 2006 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doc

Post by Doc »

anyone else get the impression Mikes at work :lol:

No wonder tankers are running aground, hes got MF up on the radar screen :lol: :lol:

Good Stuff Lord Mike, you really should write a book what with this and the ships booty dits. (sincerely meant)

JR could do the foreword :lol: (Not sincerely meant :lol: )
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Mike wrote:"Cold enough to freeze the Balls off a Brass Monkey"

Not paying attention are we Mikey?
Look at my post on the last page of this thread. :P
Mike

Post by Mike »

Wholley wrote:
Mike wrote:"Cold enough to freeze the Balls off a Brass Monkey"

Not paying attention are we Mikey?
Look at my post on the last page of this thread. :P
Oops sorry Whol........didnt see you creep in there unannounced... Must have missed it....Just goes to prove its all true
:roll:
Aye
Mike
JR

Post by JR »

:drinking: Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of Rum,Fifteen men on a dead man's chest :P .
As a matter of interest,Dead Man's Chest which figures largely in the well known rhyme about those old time Piratical B'stards who sailed the Spanish Main,is an actual island in the Caribbean.And in the days when the Royal Navy maintained a West Indies Fleet a ship finding herself in the vicinity of Dead Man's Chest,would solemnly send ashore a party of fifteen to land on the island.They took with them the traditional bottle of rum.
Sadly I was never chosen.Aye JR :roll: :roll:
Who needs the World as your Oyster,When you've had the world as your cap Badge
JR

Post by JR »

:lol: Continuing on our Nautical theme which seems to be popular :roll: .

Blazer! the jacket which many of us wear to attend reunions a sort of civvy uniform? With unit badge of course :roll: .
In 1845 Captain Washington of the steam survey vessel 'Blazer' dressed his ships company in blue and white striped guernseys.Accordingly the crew became known as the 'Blazers', from which is derived the term used for the modern garment :oops: OooooH hello sailor! :P .Aye JR
Who needs the World as your Oyster,When you've had the world as your cap Badge