Share This Page:

Wsop (aircrew)aided sight ???

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
subzero007

Wsop (aircrew)aided sight ???

Post by subzero007 »

are u allowed to wear glasses for this role :o
HillVictor

Post by HillVictor »

That's something that got on the back of one member who has since been banned (he was being a pest). From what I know and the tests I've taken already- the RAF won't want to take you if you wear glasses. I took an eye test last year and the results from Cranwell were that I couldn't do aircrew of any sort! :o

I couldn't believe it! So I just said to myself "Oh well, never wanted to be aircrew anyway". However...the option to be aircrew is still open to me via the British Army. I've been told by the recruiters that I can be an Air Despatcher with the Royal Logistic Corps if I want.

To be honest I don't see the difference in the job roles. The RAF said to me that helmets use head-up displays and they couldn't change the focus on the helmets...yatta yatta yatta. :sleeping:

The helmets used by the Royal Logistic Corps- I'm not too sure about but the fact remains: Want to be aircrew? Got glasses? RAF saying no? The Army say YES!. I love the army when they come out better! :D
Guardian of The Wall

Post by Guardian of The Wall »

Yeah why are the RAF so fixed on being "perfect". You'd think they'd want clones of a man with 20-20 vision next! LOL

Of course, you're only ever 20-20 when you're a baby. From there, the number of eyesight capabilities lower. :(
Brian-

Post by Brian- »

Guardian of The Wall wrote:Of course, you're only ever 20-20 when you're a baby. From there, the number of eyesight capabilities lower. :(
Not true.. 20-20 isn't perfect, it's just normal.
Guardian of The Wall

Post by Guardian of The Wall »

Oh right. Sorry. LOL :)
Angry_Young_Man

Post by Angry_Young_Man »

I think the reason is that recruitment is going fairly well for the RAF, so they can afford to be picky and choose the best they can get. Thats the same for trades, as they all now require 2 GCSE's instead of no qualifications.
Fwd 5

Post by Fwd 5 »

Yes, you can wear glasses and be a WSOp provided that your unaided vision is not too bad (no worse than 6/24 I think) and that your glasses correct your vision to 6/6 (ie normal vision as stated above).

The eyesight standards are there because you require that standard of vision to achieve the tasks of a WSOp.

Any recruiter who tells you that air despacher and WSOp do a similar job is either a) trying to fill RLC slots
or
b) has a poor grip on reality