Share This Page:

Joining the paras at 16

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
ParaToBe

Joining the paras at 16

Post by ParaToBe »

Hello, was gonna go through college and join the paras as an officer but i don't like it all, really boring me and i just want to leave, so i am thinking of joing the paras at 16, are the req still the same (i expect they are and they should be), just checking if they are or not. Just looking for abit of advice on joining this young aswell if anyone has done it.

Thanks. =)
IT WILL COME!

81 press ups in 2minutes.
ParaLad

Post by ParaLad »

Im going the same mate . you want to look at joining the AFC , army foundation collage in harrogate , if not you have to wait till your 17 and go to ITC catterick .
At selection the requirments are the same , after all your going for the Maroon Machine :wink:
have you done selection yet , im guessing not ?
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

At sixteen you are still growing,your body will be stressed along with your mind.Mind you for the Paras the mind doesn't matter much :D
Just joshing Sandy before you start.
What kind of college can you get into at your age?
I'm assuming you have no O/A levels.
You will also need parental consent to join the Armed forces.
At least you can spell'College'unlike the last interlocuter.
bored_stupid

Post by bored_stupid »

I would say give college a bit longer, you can have only been there a couple of months and it can take a while to settle in and once you do you may end up loving it by the New Year.

A good education is ALWAYS a good thing to have.

If you really do want to jack it in though, I'd still suggest waiting til you're 17 rather than going to Harrogate. I say this for two reasons, firstly, you do a lot of lessons there so it's quite like school still only more disciplined.

Secondly and, in my opinion, most important is that you'll be there for the best part of a year before you go to ITC Catterick to join one of the regular platoons and that's a long time to be in training.

I've been to Catterick a few times and I've seen/heard a lot of the AFC lads jacking cause they basically get sick of being in basic training and just want out, also Catterick is quite a shock for some of them after being at the AFC!!

Try sticking at college and getting your qualifications, it might seem rubbish now but two years will fly by but your qualifications will be with you for life, plus the longer you wait the more mature and developed you will be and both those attributes will help you out when you get to Depot.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
john mchugh

Post by john mchugh »

I am also 16 and am currently at college and also hate it. I started my application process a few weeks ago and have completed my barb test and am waiting to hear back from my AFCO about my medical forms. Prior to making my appliaction i was thinking about dropping out of college and joining the regiment but i found out from research that the process could take several months and dropping out of college would leave me with nothing to do for these months so my advise to you would be to get down to your AFCO and start your application process and stick at college for a few more months