Share This Page:

Heart Murmurs

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
NLC

Heart Murmurs

Post by NLC »

Morning all,

I suppose I should mention a little background to this so that it makes sense.

I was born with a heart defect - a hole in the barrier between the two ventricles of my heart. Apparently this should have cleared up as I got older, but I figured I should get checked out before applying.

Went to see the doctor today and apparently I have a heart murmur, which either means that it never healed up and may require surgery to fix, or it did heal and it's just the blood flowing over the healed tissue.

Either way, I'm sure it's likely to show up on my medical when applying, so figured it would be a good idea to see what you guys thought. Think it'll prevent me from joining if I've either had surgery or just have a murmur due to the healed tissue in my heart?

Cheers.
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

Heart murmur is a permanent Bar from joining,
(as is heart surgery I think)

However if it isnt then any surgery will defer you from joining for 12-24 months from after any Rehab.

If you know about it now then put it on your medical docs and tell your Recruiter so he knows about it, but be prepared to be turned down at the first hurdle

Best thing to do is go into your AFCO/ACIO
NLC

Post by NLC »

Bah, there I was worrying about the run times and it looks like I might not even get that far. I'm scheduled for an echo anyway, and should find out what the situation is then.

Thanks for the speedy reply!
Tab

Post by Tab »

Two weeks ago a chap dropped dead after playing American Football in Kent, he had just been accepted by the RAF even though he once had a heart mermur and he thought he was clear, but it appeared that by pushing himself hard to prove he could do it then mother nature then proved he couldn't
sky ninja steve

Post by sky ninja steve »

when i was in edinbourgh for the medical and that the doc put the stethoscope on my chest and an ambulance went past in the very distance he told me he just had to stop and wait for the ambulance to go past as he didnt want to miss diagnose me with a heart murmur :o then he sed it happend quite alot as the army take no chances what so ever with heart defects which was proved when i came out of the docs and 5 people all together had been refused entry because the doc "heard" something. just thought id share that with ya'all
"Many are called but few are chosen, keep your webbing tight, your weapon clean and work hard. When times are tough be proud of who you are, trust in those above you and stay loyal to those around you"
letme

Post by letme »

Sounds like a bunch of necky crows who wish they could join the Reg however will never make the grade!
bored_stupid

Post by bored_stupid »

letme wrote:Sounds like a bunch of necky crows who wish they could join the Reg however will never make the grade!
Is that what happened to you?
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

letme - do you actually have anything useful to contribute?

In 5 posts you've said nothing either intelligent or interesting. You can either change that, or go away.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
NLC

Post by NLC »

For anyone interested (not including letme, I guess!) I got down to the AFCO yesterday. Unfortunately they weren't sure how it would affect things, but I have arranged an interview in a few weeks' time to sort it out.

Fingers crossed..
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

letme wrote:Sounds like a bunch of necky crows who wish they could join the Reg however will never make the grade!
And you did?
Five posts and your a hero.
Make me laugh a little longer.
Running Man

Post by Running Man »

NLC:

Any updates on this? I'm in a similar situation to you, although I have had my hole closed recently, and would like to have another crack at the TA and in particular 4 Para.

Cheers.