Share This Page:

Living expenses whilst training.

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
Rizzarazzu

Post by Rizzarazzu »

Cheers Tony.

Are you serving NCA ?

Got any hints or tips about RTS and NCAITC for a poor man starting RTS on Wednesday ? ;):)
tonylott

Post by tonylott »

Rizzarazzu wrote:Cheers Tony.

Are you serving NCA ?

Got any hints or tips about RTS and NCAITC for a poor man starting RTS on Wednesday ? ;):)
No Rizz, I am a serving SNCO that happened to be on a course at RAF Cranwell recently.

Hints and Tips eh! Well, hopefully you are fit by now, because if you are that is one aspect that you don't need to worry about then.

Remember - You have 2 eyes, 2 ears and 1 mouth. Use them in that proportion and you will be fine.

I am sure you wouldn't do this but it isn't a good idea to give the staff at Halton an ear bashing telling them that you will be a Sgt in 20 weeks time. Remember that the rank is acting for a couple of years at least and that the Cpl's/Sgt's on RTS are seasoned guys and gals that have been around the block many times.

ALWAYS try to maintain a good sense of humour, especially when everyone else around you is feeling low and work as a team. Help each other out.

Enjoy the process and remain focused. It is the best training you will ever get. You have already worked hard to get to the stage you are at so believe in your own ability and do the absolute best that you can.

Finally, RTS at Halton can seem very daunting when you first get there (Especially in the drab winter months). Don't let it phase you, just get in and crack on. Trust your DI Staff
Rizzarazzu

Post by Rizzarazzu »

Thanks Tony.

Yeah, that seems like the sort of advice i've been given. Don't worry, i'm a bit older (not blowing my own trumpet) but i am aware that spouting my mouth off isn't going to do me any favours at all. I certainly won't be taking my place at NCAITC for granted - i'm still a bit daunted by Halton to be honest. I'm reasonably fit but not superfit. I've worked in a military environment (not serving though) for a long time and have managed to pick up on how things work in the forces.

I'm just going to get my head down, keep it down, give my all to everything they throw at me and then if i succeed or fail at least i know i've done everything i can then dust myself off and try again.
tonylott

Post by tonylott »

I am sure you will be fine. If you can, keep us upto date on your progress. I will be thinking of you running around in those woods behind the camp (I used to do it for fun!). LOL

Good luck and keep smiling (there is a reason for everything!)
Rizzarazzu

Post by Rizzarazzu »

Cheers - i will post in here when i get time off to give people some insight on what to exect and what i'm going through !

I've heard a lot about these woods and all the running that's done in them - not something i relish, to be honest, but i'll give it a damn good crack.
GemmaLS

Post by GemmaLS »

tonylott wrote:Remember - You have 2 eyes, 2 ears and 1 mouth. Use them in that proportion and you will be fine.
That's a really great piece of advice - never heard it put like that before. I'm going the officer route instead of NCA but will try and apply it when I start training in May. Thanks.
tonylott

Post by tonylott »

GemmaLS wrote:
tonylott wrote:Remember - You have 2 eyes, 2 ears and 1 mouth. Use them in that proportion and you will be fine.
That's a really great piece of advice - never heard it put like that before. I'm going the officer route instead of NCA but will try and apply it when I start training in May. Thanks.
Glad it was of use Gemma.. It was an old Sqn Ldr that told me that one and it has served me well.

Good luck with your quest..PM me if I can help in any way
GemmaLS

Post by GemmaLS »

tonylott wrote:Good luck with your quest..PM me if I can help in any way
Thanks :D will do. At the moment I'm doing 5 days a week at the gym and working my way throught the reading list so I'm set for a while. I might have some panicked questions come april though....
gr4pilot

Living costs on IOT when married

Post by gr4pilot »

Hey guys I know I haven't graced you with my presence since probably November last year but thought I'd kill some time and see what's happening.

Just to answer one of those unknown quantities:

When at IOT in marital staus catagories 1 or 2 (ie married or married with sprogs) you don't pay any accomodation costs - just £2.60 per day food and obviously you're mess bill.

Hope that helps some

(source OACTU allowances clerk)
Jx ;)